X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smorris
    • Apr 2003
    • Tampa, Florida, USA.

The importance of good handwriting and dry fitting

I've been working on a set of plantation shutters off and on for the last few months. I'm finally beginning the assembly and put the 4 frames together and and take them into the bedroom last night to double check everything before I do the glue-up and can't make adjustments.

This is when I discover that the 59" width is actually a badly written 50" with some sort of tail on the 0. I have some recutting to do but it shouldn't be a big ordeal. A little trimming, shorten the rails a bit and lap joints between the panels (which I wanted anyway).

I was highly annoyed with myself. LOML told me that she knew I'd figure out how to fix it, so I grabbed a pencil and started figuring...legibly instead of my usual scrawl. I suspect that the problem was exacerbated by the length of time involved so the 50" was no longer fresh in the memory and I just had my notes and plans.
    --
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

I don't think I've ever done that with woodworking, but I sure have done it with other things. I try to tell myself Do Not rely on memory. My wife can't read my handwriting, so if I can't, I'm screwed.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I figured out a while ago that there's a big differenc between 6' 8" and 68". I have a number of pieces of finished maple trim to remind me of that fact. I'll need to put a bunch of really short doors in the next house.
      Chr's

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

I've learned with rough framing to label everything. For example, part of the bathroom project is to add 19" to one wall where the tub will go. I built the new wall last weekend and will put it in this weekend. I labeled which end is up as well as which side goes where. Experience has taught me that if there is a wrong way to put it in, I will do that unless I take steps otherwise.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• drillman88
          • Dec 2007
          • Southeast
          • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

LOML asked me about a week ago why is it when I start a project I work on it so hard until it complete.I told her its much easier to work when you have got your thoughts organized and there is a flow to your work.Too much stoping and starting and I know there is bound to be some lost time just getting back up to speed beside a chance of a goofup.I have fought through
          a couple of really long projects, plantation shutters being the longest, that really tested my patience and this was a major part of it.
          I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• catta12
            Established Member
            • Jan 2008
            • Reno, NV
            • BTS20R

Yep, I have started, stopped for awhile on a project, and started again with simialr results. I have a picture frame that I had to shorten the top and bottom rails on a couple of inches because of a miswrite. I cut 45 deg miters out and glued them back. It was good enough for a picture frame that was getting painted anyway. It was a good lesson learned though.
            I====//====I
            I.................I
            I.................I
            I====//====I
            If you can read this you assembled wrong.

Alan

Comment

• jackellis
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

I've been observing how the carpenters frame our new home. It's amazing how many marks they make on just about every piece of lumber. It really drives home the message that hammering nails is only a small part of the job.

I too have had the experience of working on a project in fits and starts and forgetting important measurements. Which reminds me that I need to finish building a couple of raised panel doors (my first).

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
                • Nov 2004
                • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
                • Delta Contractor Saw

I'm trying to finish a set of bunk beds that have been over 3 months in progress because of travel and weather. Everything was cut to final dimension over that same time frame and has been finished except for the mattress support rails which I was going to put on last night. All my long parts are supposed to be 75" but a smudge on my notes made the supports 76" and the rails 75". Fortunately I only have to cut off that extra inch rather than figure out a way to add it back on the rails.

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by twistsol
                  I figured out a while ago that there's a big differenc between 6' 8" and 68".
                  In the shop I deal exclusively in inches and fractions thereof. I'll think about a new sheet of plywood as being a 4'x8' sheet but I don't cut off a 2'-11 1/2" piece, I cut off a 35-1/2" piece. I have to be really careful when, at work, we go out to measure an existing building. I'll get back to the office and look at my field notes and think, Okay, is that REALLY supposed to be 35-1/2", the way I wrote it down, or did I mean 3'-5 1/2"? By convention, any dimension on an architectural drawing equaling or exceeding 12" is supposed to be expressed as feet/inches, and I try to write them down that way, but it's easy to slip up and revert to "shop measurements."
                  Last edited by LarryG; 02-04-2009, 10:12 AM.
                  Larry

Comment

• Garasaki
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by crokett
                    Experience has taught me that if there is a wrong way to put it in, I will do that unless I take steps otherwise.
                    No flipping doubt.

I don't know how many of the walls I put up in my basement are backwards or upside down. Generally speaking, it ain't a big deal, but instead of the crowns facing the exterior, they face the interior, or the 16" spacing is broke, or I had to recut something. How many times I coulda kicked myself though - all because I was trying to hurry.

Part of that project is shortening the handrail on the stairs - and the full length handrail was getting to be a PIA to store, so I figured I'd just chop it down to about the right length. Took a quick measurement, casually walked over to the miter saw, and wacked one of the ends off. Well, of course it's the wrong end.

Again, no big deal, I can work with it, it'll just require reattaching the supports on the handrail. But if I had taken an extra 10 seconds to think about it, I woulda saved that work.

I find with woodworking projects, I am much more meticulous and take my time - and the results show it. Around the house stuff I'm usually in a hurry and make stupid mistakes.

And usually with woodworking stuff, I double, triple, or quadruple check any measurements that "matter" - ie the 50" vs 59" thing.
                    -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
                    -Henry Blake

Comment

• Tom Miller
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2003
                      • Twin Cities, MN
                      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Another aspect of marking things clearly is that I may not get back to a project for months, when I thought I'd be back the next day. When I come back after a break like that, it takes me a while to figure out where I'm at. Now, I try to keep all parts of a project together (usually multiple projects), and keep good notes; especially if I've figured out the solution to a problem, but haven't milled the parts yet.

Regards,
                      Tom

Comment

• sscherin
                        • Dec 2003
                        • Kennewick, WA, USA.

Originally posted by smorris
                        This is when I discover that the 59" width is actually a badly written 50" with some sort of tail on the 0.
                        This is why I slash my zeros Ø
                        William's Law--
                        There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
                        cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

• cabinetman
                          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

Whatever system you use, use it throughout, and do not mix it up. When learning architectural drafting I was taught to do feet and inches. If the dimension was less than a foot, like nine inches, I write 0'-9". If this system is easier stick with it throughout. Or, if just inches and fractions, use just that.

I've developed a real habit of doing complete drawings for everything, and numbering or lettering everything to be on the drawing and on the individual piece. Every piece has a mark that I can find on one of the drawings. These drawings become part of the documents for the project that figures as a cutting layout, cut list, and materials list. There are too many parts to try to remember. It's also invaluable in making sure all the parts are there, and what parts get what machining.

Comment

Working...