• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

2x4 or laminated 1x4?

A friend asked me this : he wants to build the above workbench in a recent Wood magazine article, which has half-laps on 2x4 legs and stretchers.

He does not have tools like bandsaw or tablesaw, so was wondering if he could laminate 1x4 pine or whitewood from HD and create half-laps that way. The dimension of the wood would work out to be the same.

Would there be a difference in strength between the two? Any other reason he should not go that route?
    Last edited by radhak; 01-30-2009, 11:57 AM.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • vaking
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2005
    • Montclair, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

There is nothing wrong with using lamination. I have seen workbench plan in woodworking magazine that was suggesting 3-ply lamination of 1x3 boards to create mortizes. Good glue is stronger than wood fiber today, so laminated structure should not be any weaker than solid piece. Just make sure to follow the grain properly and use same kind of wood for lamination. If you make a long glue joint out of different woods you are asking for trouble because wood will expand differently.
    Alex V

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

the big trick is to get 1x4 flat enough to laminate successfully.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

Without any form of saw how will he even cut the pieces to length? What tools does he have. You can do halflaps with a circ saw and router.

I would tend to agree with Loring. the lamination would work in theory but getting enough true 1x4s will be tough.

Also does he have all the clamps to build the laminations?
        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Buena Park, CA
          • CM 21829

I'd think it should work fine. I've seen things like this done (half laps and mortise/tenon) with plywood - not the look I'd want, but works. On the up side, doesn't laminated wood resist twisting and warping?
          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• radhak
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Miramar, FL
            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

He has a miter-saw and a jig saw, and clamps and hand tools like drills etc.

I am expecting to help him, but don't want to get into cutting 25-30 half-laps if he's not interested in anything but the rough-and-ready.

Come to think of it, I did not think of using plywood. Maybe that'd prove even cheaper for him...?
            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
            - Aristotle

Comment

• LarryG
              The Full Monte
              • May 2004
              • Off The Back
              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Loring nailed it. I've lost track of how many times I've sorted through the entire bin of 1x4s and 1x6s at HD or Lowe's, trying to find six or eight decent pieces, only to leave the store disgusted and empty-handed.

For no more material than he will need, he might consider using poplar or red oak. He'll pay dearly per board foot for either at the big box stores, but at least it's generally straight and square. (This would also sidestep another problem, which is that "whitewood" is awfully soft and not very strong. Not something I'd use to build a workbench, even a small one.)

Isn't your shop pretty well equipped? Why not invite him over for a day (after a trip to HD to load up on Southern Yellow Pine), and the two of you machine the pieces together?
              Larry

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Larry, that's what I wanted to do, but he seems to be the 'just get it done with' types, and I felt I'd be insulted if mid-way he decided it was more work than he liked and walked off... I'd rather he decides the way to go and I'd offer 'supporting' and consulting help.
                - Aristotle

Comment

• cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

He could use clear 1x4's. The ones that are normally used for finish carpentry. They tend to be clear and straight, and flat, and expensive.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

laminated parts with cutouts for the half laps should work fine - a lot of clamps are required - a few brads to hold them together would not be a bad idea either.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jackellis
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2003
                      • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                      • BT3100

The key is either lots of fasteners or lots of glue. That way the two boards will act like one.

Comment

• master53yoda
                        Established Member
                        • Oct 2008
                        • Spokane Washington
                        • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

I would use the ply wood and if he wants to get rid of the ply wood look he could get some edge banding and make it look very good.
                        Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• cabinetman
                          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

Laminated plywood would be a good choice. Adding a wood edge for a decorative touch would add some rigidity. If solid wood is chosen, and the box stores are your only choice, the longer lengths of the lumber are usually a better selection than 8 footers. Sometimes in addition to getting better stock, 10's or 12's may cut up more efficiently with less waste. Do a preliminary sketch and figure out the materials and do a cutlist before buying the material.

Comment

• ironhat
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2004
                            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

If you can get the 1x's home and glued/ nailed as possible you may be able to avoid the inevitable twisting, etc. He can avoid the half laps if he engineers the laminations such that one board is shorter by the amount needed to make the laps. JAT
                            Blessings,
                            Chiz

Comment

Working...