• Show
Clear All
  • Wood_workur
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Ohio
    • Ryobi bt3100-1

where do your plans come from?

So when you build a project, where do you get your inspiration and plans from- do you use plans, or do you design the entire thing yourself?

I happen to be in the middle. I'll take plans for inspiration and some proportions, but then modify them a bit and draw them up myself.
    Only plans for the entire thing
    2.17%
    Usually only plans with the slight change
    16.30%
    Plans always with some changes
    27.17%
    Plans changed to the point where you cannot see any relation
    13.04%
    Designed from scratch every time
    41.30%
    Alex
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

When I use plans, they're my own, but sometimes I venture away from them or don't use any to begin with.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

I typically spend a good deal of time making a plan, and a 3D model to go along with it, but sometimes I wing it on a project. I've only ever built 1 item from someone else's plan, my first project, a jewelry box.
      Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I usually get a strong mental picture of what I want, then a general size or maybe one or two specific dimensions - from which all other dimensions are derived. I usually get most of the dimensions in my mind also, and 'might' write them down when I want to do several cuts at the same time.

Neither of the below had more than half a page of notes and dimensions written down.

A hutch that took me 2 years to get all of the dimensions in my mind: Took me about two weeks to make part time once I started. The hutch was made to fit a specific area in the kitchen and was requested by LOML.

A router center with 2 routers; also took about two years to get the basic dimensions in my mind. I hate changing bits on a project, particularly when one is used consistently. So with the fence made like it is, I can 'kant' the fence to cover one bit or the other and leave one bit at a desired height while using another. The center works well, store over a hundred bits 1/4 or 1/2. Router tools/parts drawers too.

Last edited by leehljp; 12-14-2008, 04:08 AM.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

I may receive a plan from an architect or a designer that in itself needs to be converted to shop drawings. The general dimensions are used in conjunction with fabrication procedure to establish a good plan. This plan I get approved (signed off) from the client. It will include a floor plan (or plan view), elevation drawings, section drawings, and detail drawings. Perspective drawings may also be done.

For the clients that I work with directly, where they have a conception of what they want, I do the same drawing schedule. They may have a page out of a magazine that they provide that I have to develop into a complete plan, which is the same variety of drawings.

I also do "explosion" drawings which can be invaluable in planning joinery and seeing a preview of possible problems.

Comment

• smorris
            • Apr 2003
            • Tampa, Florida, USA.

I get an idea for what I want to make (or LOML implants the idea) and I go browse around looking at similar items. This can involve the web or going to to brick and mortar stores and taking some pictures. Then I decide what I like/don't like and draw up plans. They can be simple or complex depending on what it is.
            --
            Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• Ed62
              The Full Monte
              • Oct 2006
              • NW Indiana
              • BT3K

If I find a plan I really like, I'll use it. But when I'm through, the project doesn't look like it came from a plan. It might be a cabinet with the drawer slides on the outside of the carcass.

Ed
              Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• cwsmith
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                • BT3100-1

My projects have so far been centered around the home and the family's needs/wants. So while I do a bit of research, review general construction or design concepts and practices from others, the formulation, design and application are strickly my own design. Much of that is due to "fitting" the object to the particular "space".

My biggest project being our 18 by 25 ft deck over 20 years ago, of course had to fit the space and the terrain. I used a free brochure provided by the treated wood manufacturer, but other than "span allowances, everything from supporting structure to rail layout was my own. I like to draw, so of course it all started with a sketch and then some basic dimension'd drawings.

I just finished building our "Cookbook Library". In an old 1887 house, very little is level or square. We had originally planned to put it on the first floor, but there wasn't enough wall space in that particular room to accomodate the several hundred books (too many to actually count). In the 2nd floor room we've got five windows, so that requires something other than just a bunch of bookcases. So, dimensions are taken and we do as much design work as possible on the computer using Corel Draw. SketchUp was nice for some general visualizing, but the details got worked out in Corel and I cut and assembled structural components with final assembly and fitting done in the room. Obviously it would be hard to use someone else's plans for a project such as this.

Next project is the main library and then fireplace mantle and cabinets in the living room. Again, it's a matter of "fitting", but I'll certainly be looking at a lot of what other's have done. So "my work" is really founded on their experience and I adopt or design as needed.

CWS
                Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

couldn't really pick one of the choices.
                  I usually get an idea of waht i want to build, make a few educated guesses and measurements for overall scale and incorporate some details I liked, hardly ever use plans directly.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• BobSch
                    • Aug 2004
                    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                    couldn't really pick one of the choices.
                    I usually get an idea of waht i want to build, make a few educated guesses and measurements for overall scale and incorporate some details I liked, hardly ever use plans directly.
                    I couldn't match any choices either. My projects so far have been simple enough that plans weren't really necessary. One of these days I'm going to tackle one that's too complex to ad lib and I'm gonna be in deep trouble.
                    Last edited by BobSch; 12-14-2008, 08:18 PM.
                    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Plans? What are plans?

Actually I take Loring's approach and design it myself. I might look at other plans or similar projects for a starting point on directions, but mostly whatever plans I do I've done myself.
                      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• chopnhack
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2006
                        • Florida
                        • Ryobi BT3100

I couldnt pick either, I have used plans, but quite often its my own as well.
                        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• JeffG78
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                          • BT3100

Same here. The majority of the time, I come up with my own designs, but for some projects, I start with plans and modify as needed. Usually, I get inspiration from magazines or other places and then uses a few of its design elements with the rest being my own design.

Comment

• Gator95
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2008
                            • Atlanta GA
                            • Ridgid 3660

I draw up detailed plans for pretty much every project that includes joinery details, dimensions, and a cut list. That way I can go to the lumberyard and get pretty close to exactly what I need before I start. Usually draw them up when I'm on a plane flying somewhere.

I look at a lot of published plans, but mainly for inspiration and new ideas of how to arrange things or join them and combine design elements.

Comment

• drillman88
                              • Dec 2007
                              • Southeast
                              • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

I usually dont use plans.Plans seem to complicate things too much for me.I work better from a picture or mental image with a pretty good idea for scale.Most of the time I work from a mental image with maybe a couple of crude sketches.This drives loml insane she tells me she wants something built I tell her to find a picture if not she will have to wait until I see the finished project in my mind.I will not start on a project until then.
                              I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

Working...