• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drillman88
    • Dec 2007
    • Southeast
    • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

Scout Chair

My neighbor is just starting Boy Scouts and Ive been wanting to make something for him when I have some spare time.Ive decided on this. http://www.scouters.us/homecha.html

If any body has made something similar your input would be appreciated.
    My main concern is size because he is only about 6 years old would it need to be scaled down.
    Thanks
    I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Well, he won't be six forever. Boys that age grow astoundingly fast. If he stays in Scouting all the way to Eagle he'll be huge. Wouldn't it be cool if he had a chair he's used since day one?

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• herb fellows
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • New York City
      • bt3100

You do mean Cub Scouts, right? When I was a boy (50 years ago, admittedly), you had to be 12 to join the Boy Scouts, if memory serves. I'm guessing they didn't change the rules that much.
      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by herb fellows
        You do mean Cub Scouts, right? When I was a boy (50 years ago, admittedly), you had to be 12 to join the Boy Scouts, if memory serves. I'm guessing they didn't change the rules that much.
        Ditto!

I agree that perhaps you should size the chair a bit bigger so that he might be able to use it for a few years. It seems like just the other day that my oldest was starting Cubs in second grade and fit in a tiny chair. That was 5 years ago and he's grown a bunch.
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

If the boy gets into Scouting, a nice Patrol box would be a good project that he could enjoy well into his adult life but won't personally get any real use out of it until at least his teens...

For those that don't know, a Patrol box is the Boy Scouts version of a Chuck Box. Basically it is a segmented box with compartments for all the important camp kitchen gizmos. It should have removable or foldable legs for it to stand on, a flip down lid with some sort of stays that keep the lid open as a sort of cook table. A compartment for the pieces such as the camp stove, nesting cook set, coffee pot, folding sink or wash basin, cultlery, cleaning stuff etc..

Troop 679 Patrol Box Plans.

From what I understand, the Patrol boxes we made in 1980 are still in use...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

Our troop had a policy of pack-in & pack-out. I really hated toting those chuck boxes.

That camp chair would be nice.
            Erik

Comment

• Weverst
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2003
              • West Babylon, NY, USA.
              • BT 3000

Great idea.
              Scaled to a smaller Cub Scout is good.
              Then, hoping he stays with Scouting, offer to do a Webelo Den Project of camping chairs with them.
              By then, the smaller version can serve as a model of the full size chair.
              Scouting is, IMHO, the best boy's youth program ever in the history of the world.

YIS
              Tony
              SM Troop 175 W Babylon NY
              Proud Dad of an Eagle and Life Scout.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
                Our troop had a policy of pack-in & pack-out. I really hated toting those chuck boxes.

That camp chair would be nice.
                Ours wasn't bad. 1/2" ply I think. And a mess smaller than the one pictured. But yeah, I've seen some that are just overdone, and really too heavy for the boys to handle.

And I figured the OP didn't want to take on a Cedar Canoe project...

Okay I finally got unlazy and looked at the chair. Heck, I'd like one of those full sized! Sure beats the folding nylon cheapos from Bass Pro Shops...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• drillman88
                  • Dec 2007
                  • Southeast
                  • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

Thanks for the replies,
                  Yes I meant Cub Scouts.I guess I should've mentioned he has a smaller brother as well that will be able to use the chair in a couple of years then I can do a larger one.I was just wondering about the scale.Maybe 3/4 scale or so is what I'm thinking.I guess I will do the layout soon to get a feel for it.

drillman
                  I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• jon_ramp
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2007
                    • western Chicago burb
                    • Craftsman 21829

Here is another plan. I have a chair similar to this design that I bought years ago from REI. I have not built one yet. The one I purchased has the dowel and lower back cleat at higher placement on the back which I like better than this plan.

Comment

• shoottx
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2008
                      • Plano, Texas
                      • BT3000

Here is another version you might like. It is a new design by Thos. Moser.
                      Attached Files
                      Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

Working...