Dovetail by router problem cropping up...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by poolhound
    climb cutting and backerboards are the way to go - IMHO.
    Just to clear up my own ignorance. What is climb cutting?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by dbhost
      Cutting in the direction of the spin of the bit. So assuming workpiece is behind your router you feed left to right.

One must use caution while doing this as a light touch of the bit without a rather firm grasp of the router can yank the router out of your hands.
      Last edited by Black wallnut; 10-30-2008, 06:15 PM.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• RayintheUK
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2003
        • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Black wallnut
        Cutting in the direction of the spin of the bit. So assuming workpiece is behind your router you feed left to right.
        I'd also add that because you're cutting in the direction of rotation, things can get out of hand very easily and very swiftly. Please practice on some scrap fist and get a good grip on the router, in case you become over aggressive with the cut. At worst, you could damage your jig if you're not careful.

I'm trying not to be a scaremonger here, but this is not a technique to be taken lightly - simply because the cuts must be taken lightly!

Ray
        Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
          As the OPS have mentioned this is when you cut from right to left (when facing the board) with the rotation of the bit. You have to maintain good control of the router as it will tend to pull away from you.

Check out this link and do note things reverse depending wether you are using the router handheld or in a table i.e feed direction.

Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

Originally posted by Black wallnut

One must use caution while doing this as a light touch of the bit without a rather firm grasp of the router can yank the router out of your hands.
            Mark - shouldnt that be right to left assuming you are routing free hand?

I always think of a doughnut. The normal direction of cut means I am moving the router anti-clockwise when on the outside and clockwise on the inside. Both mean I am moving from L to R with respect to the workpiece edge. Climb cutting reverses the direction.

When on the router table normal cuts are fed from Right to left and climb cuts from Left to right.

Confused - you will be
            Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
            techzibits.com

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Okay, I have the pins cut by using the technique we talked about here. Laser beam sharp except for where I didn't see an apparently loose knot. Simply go slower, and go in on the left, then right, then full depth, nibble away any left behind.

HOWEVER, the tails are a different story all together. The bearing rides pretty snug in the fingers of the template, and as soon as the cutter gets behind the surface of the wood, it blows little bits of it out...

No worries about using scrap or good wood for this. I am using scrap for practice so that I don't have this happen, at least near as much, on expensive wood...

I may have to try to use a sacrificial board to make this work right...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...