• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Crib Design help...?

For those of you that have completed a crib that converts to a regular bed, can you please share some design insight as to how this works?

I want to build a crib that converts to a transitional bed (twin bed with rails) and finally to a twin bed.

I have some ideas on how this works, but I am not sure how to get to the twin bed stage without having exposed hardware...

Also, what should I keep in mind for building a changing station? I know I want just a simple one that fits on a lateral dresser, and is removable. What considerations do I need to take when designing and building one of these?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
    Also, what should I keep in mind for building a changing station? I know I want just a simple one that fits on a lateral dresser, and is removable. What considerations do I need to take when designing and building one of these?
    We always just put a changing pad like the one below on top of the dresser with a little basket that held wipes, diapers and ointment. The only thing it's really missing is rails, but you won't be leaving the baby up there unattended anyway... at least I hope not.

Basic Comfort Contoured Changing Pad
    New: $21.95 (12% savings)
    Rating: 4.5 of 5, 46 review(s)
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• BadeMillsap
      • Dec 2005
      • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
      • Grizzly G1023SL

Well I am in the midst of building this ... it's due in March

DBHOST ... not SURE if this is what you were referring to but I am in the middle of building my own modified version of this Rockler plan ... Rockler 3 in 1 crib/bed

The "middle" iteration of the bed has END RAILS but only one SIDE is "protected" ... that is the "toddler bed" ... the plans are pretty straight forward, the hardware is supplied by buying two "kits" ... seems pretty self explanatory ... I'm modifying the actual "look" to be a little more "mission style" than the plan calls for ... one of the reviewers at the link did a similar thing.
      "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
      Bade Millsap
      Bulverde, Texas
      => Bade's Personal Web Log
      => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

That's it!

I thought I had looked through Rockler's plans all the way and totally missed that one! Thanks...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...