• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Edge banding a circle?

Not that I am planning on doing this anytime soon, but cutting out the disks for my Thien Cyclone got me to thinking....

With so many tables being bade with plywood tops, how would we go about edge banding a round table top?

My weird brain shifts drive LOML crazy too...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Interesting question as I was thinking something similar this weekend as I was considering some options for a new project.

The only options I could come up with were.

1. use the thin iron on veneer
    2. use a laminating technique with thin strips
    3. use router and trammel jig similar to how one would form the original circle on pieces but keeping what would normally be the waste. Attach them to the circle and then trim to finished size again with the trammel.
    4. make the center of the circle polygonal e.g. 8 sided. attach solid edging to the sq edges and then make the circle with the trammel.

All of the HW options above seem like a real PITA to do so you would really need to want to do this. Even though it may cost more in material I think I would be tempted to just make the top from solid wood, then no edging is required.
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Seven options come immediately to mind (there are probably more):

1. Plastic laminate (assumes the plywood top is also PL covered)

2. Wood veneer that matches the plywood (assumes the plywood top will be left exposed)

3. Some other edging material, like the T-shaped vinyl or the metal that was used in the old days (can you say "ugly?")

4. Bentwood laminations, using the round top itself as the form

5. Segmented solid wood of the desired width, with each segment shaped to fit. This could be an arc on both edges (inner and outer), or flat on the inner side and an arc on the outside

6. Use a quality plywood like Baltic birch and leave the edge plies exposed

7. For a painted finish, apply wood filler to the edges and sand smooth
      Larry

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by poolhound
        Interesting question as I was thinking something similar this weekend as I was considering some options for a new project.

The only options I could come up with were.

1. use the thin iron on veneer
        2. use a laminating technique with thin strips
        3. use router and trammel jig similar to how one would form the original circle on pieces but keeping what would normally be the waste. Attach them to the circle and then trim to finished size again with the trammel.
        4. make the center of the circle polygonal e.g. 8 sided. attach solid edging to the sq edges and then make the circle with the trammel.

All of the HW options above seem like a real PITA to do so you would really need to want to do this. Even though it may cost more in material I think I would be tempted to just make the top from solid wood, then no edging is required.

For a wood edging, you got it covered pretty well. To do any wood curved moulding this thread is a short method.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LarryG
          6. Use a quality plywood like Baltic birch and leave the edge plies exposed
          I did that once, and I LIKED the effect, even routed a nice double ogee in the edge on a table I built in my HS wood shop. It looked sort of like thin butcher block. My shop teacher HATED it simply saying that the edges of plywood should NEVER be seen in furniture...

To this day I disagree with him. I liked the look. And yes it was a gap free hardwood ply. I think it was red oak though, not BB...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
            My shop teacher HATED it simply saying that the edges of plywood should NEVER be seen in furniture...

To this day I disagree with him. I liked the look. And yes it was a gap free hardwood ply. I think it was red oak though, not BB...
            Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
            Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
            techzibits.com

Comment

Working...