• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Possible cub scout project

Was browsing and saw this one - recalled some threads about looking for Cub scout wood projects, this could be an easy, usable one.

Shop Woodworking Hand & Power Tools Collection on Lee Valley. Browse our selection of Reliable Tools for any Woodworking project.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Loring...aren't you a little too old for the Cub Scouts? Anyway, about the toolbox. It seems a bit expensive for two sheet metal ends for that age group, but a good idea for a project. IMO, wood ends would make it a real craft piece, and at a lesser cost.

Comment

• bthere
      Established Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Alpharetta, GA

Those are the type of tool totes we made in Cub Scouts many years. We did use wood for the ends. I can remember spending most of one day cutting enough kits for 200 Cubs at a summer camp.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I agree you can make the ends of wood.
        But I recall from when I was a scout den leader that the projects had to be simple enough that two adults could watch over 5-10 kids and keep them all occupied while still supervising adequately. We didn't always have lots of time to spend precutting parts for kits. And I always wanted projects where the kids cut all the required pieces, not the leaders, it helps the kids think the projects are more theirs. Psychologically hardware doesn't count in wood projects when you're that young.
        With a simple operation where all you have to do is cut out some slab sides, finish or decorate them, drill holes and attach the ends with screws, this would be a doable starter wood project where the kids cut all the wood pieces required.

Cutting out the bevel-cut ends and prepping to join them would add significantly to the task.
        The prefab metal ends reduces the operations significantly, especially those operations requiring close supervision. or having to spend hours precutting the parts and reducing the content of what the kids assemble to less than 50%.

Just my suggestions as the topic comes up periodically on what to build for these cub scout projects.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-12-2008, 06:22 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...