• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mashtun
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2007

Willow wood for projects

Hello everyone.

I am going tonight to cut up on of the biggest willow trees that I have ever seen. The stump is about 8 feet in diameter. It blew over, and I could get mucho lumber out of it, but I really don't know if it is worth anyhting but bonfire fodder.
    Is it worth anything as lumber?

John
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

There are a bunch of different varieties of willows, with different characteristics. The most desireable I have seen is Black Willow, and Curly figured Willow. This box is reportedly made from Black Willow...

IF you can get well figured lumber out of it, Willow can look like, and seems to be often mistaken for Tiger Maple...

So long story short, DO NOT PITCH IT INTO THE FIRE!!!!

Do a Google search for Willow Wood Lumber and you will see lots of examples...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• scmhogg
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2003
      • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
      • BT3000

John,

There are dozens of different varieties of willow. To further complicate matters, willows are indiscriminate breeders. They cross pollinate freely, making identification difficult.

I have seen several types of willow for sale on ebay.

One of the wood magazines had an article about black willow. It is a very light weight hardwood with lots of uses.

Steve
      I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Hoover
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • USA.

I have made walking sticks out of diamond willow branches. Looks great with the diamonds carved out and finished with tung oil. (The photo is similar to mine.)
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Hoover; 09-25-2008, 02:55 AM. Reason: spelling error
        No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

Working...