• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Affordable lumber sources?

Just thought, admittedly a little self servingly, that it might be a good thing to have a thread on sources for affordable lumber of various types, either online, or in various locations...

So where do you guys and gals get your wood products? Who has the best deals? What are prices like in region XYZ for lumber types ABC etc...?

In my area...

I have to get NORTH of Houston to get anything resembling decent quality lumber. M&G Sawmill outside of Huntsville Texas has good quality material, Aromatic Red Cedar 4/4 at $1.85 b/ft isn't too bad...

My favorite from M&G though is their Mesquite. A bit on the rich price tag side, Mesquite 4/4 (Grade-FAS/SEL) $9.50 b/ft for QTY greater than 5ft. Hard on the budget, definately hard on saw blades, but gorgeous stuff...

I hope like crazy M&G is getting busy with all the blow downs lately. There is a LOT of Pecan, Oak, Cedar, and Mesquite down around these parts... I HATE seeing those trees go right into a chipper and go to waste... Heck, if nothing else, the Pecan, Mesquite, and Oak can be cut up, dried, and tossed in the BBQ pit...

MODS: If this thread turns out to be as useful as I think it will, you may want to make it sticky...
    Last edited by dbhost; 09-23-2008, 12:08 PM.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Colin C3
    Handtools only
    • Sep 2008

Affordable lumber

In my area...
    I live just north of Dallas, & 1 of the best sources I have found is Quality Hardwood Lumber in Durant, Ok. PH 580-924-7487, P.O. Box 821. You Want to talk to the owner Mike Bailey. He carries just about any type of hardwood you that is available in this region & he can deliver. I have bought both red ($3bf) & white oak ($3.25bf), cedar ($1.50bf) & some very nice hard maple some of which which was curly ($3.75). I have also gotten knotty alder but I not sure I remember the price.
    Last edited by Colin C3; 09-23-2008, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• pbui3057
      Established Member
      • Jul 2008
      • Mather, CA
      • BT3000

I wonder why there aren't more responses to this thread. I have gone to Hughes Lumber to buy walnut. It was 7.95/bdft for 8/4 and 6.95/bdft for 4/4. I bought maple at homedepot in Rancho Cordova for 2.72/lin ft for 1x4. Anybody else in the Sacramento area?

Comment

Working...