• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newood2
    • Aug 2004
    • Brooklyn, NY.
    • BT3100-1

Where to buy shellac flakes

Where do you guys buy shellac flakes? What name brand solvent do you use to desolve it?
    Is Zinsser Bull's Eye clear dewaxed shellac sold at Lowes just as good?
    Howie
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I've seen them at Rocklers. Don't you just normally use denatured alcohol as the solvent?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...filter=shellac
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

Yeah, Rockler has them, and denatured alcohol is the solvent. The reason to make your own is that you control the cut, which is the ratio of shellac to solvent. What are you going to be doing with the Shellac? That will determine about what ratio you need, and then you can tell if Zinsser is ok or you will want to make your own.

I think they have the equiv of a 2lb cut and a 3lb cut under slightly different labels. I've moved to a water based shellac since starting to spray water "lacquer".
      Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

I have gotten shellac flakes at my local Woodcraft store.

Comment

• docrowan
          • Mar 2007
          • New Albany, MS
          • BT3100

Never used it, but I've been interested in shellac as well. I've read that the predissolved shellac can "go bad" after about a year. The flakes have a much longer shelf life. Not sure what happens to shellac dissolved in alcohol after a year - does it not adhere anymore or something?

I had considered using shellac between oil based stain and Minwax water based Polycrylic, but I've checked the labels and it appears it's not necessary. I've gotten good life out of this finish I used on a pair of bookshelf/end tables that I built 6 years ago.

Newood, if you don't mind me asking, what do you plan on using the shellac for?
          - Chris.

Comment

• jziegler
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2005
            • Salem, NJ, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100

Rockler, Woodcraft, and Lee Valley all carry shellac flakes. Denatured alcohol is the solvent.

I have used the Bull's Eye shellac (another I used the amber, not clear, I wanted the extra color) and it works fine is fresh. It generally will need to be thinned a bit to get the recommend cut for most applications. Check the date code on what you buy, it's good for about a year after dissolved, and it can be old at some of the stores. I don't think that HD and Lowes go through too much of it.

Jim

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by docrowan
              Never used it, but I've been interested in shellac as well. I've read that the predissolved shellac can "go bad" after about a year. The flakes have a much longer shelf life. Not sure what happens to shellac dissolved in alcohol after a year - does it not adhere anymore or something?

I had considered using shellac between oil based stain and Minwax water based Polycrylic, but I've checked the labels and it appears it's not necessary. I've gotten good life out of this finish I used on a pair of bookshelf/end tables that I built 6 years ago.

Old shellac just won't dry. Test what you have if it's gettin' close and see if it dries within 15 - 20 minutes. If not, pitch it to the round file.

Polycrilic can be applied over oil based stain if dry with no problems.

Comment

Working...