• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Looking For Creative Suggestions

I need to make or buy a doggie ramp to load up large German Shepherds in the back of my SUV. They require frequent visits to the vet, and I've been picking them up. One is 100 LBS and the other is 86 LBS. This site shows the general idea, and the same vehicle is depicted. It's an 07 Ford Explorer.

The one pictured looks to be of too steep of an angle, and besides that, it's $190.00 plus freight. A few details about the back of the vehicle:

Height from the ground to the first plateau (top of the bumper) = 27".

The depth of the bumper to the actual floor of the inside bed is 8" (rubber coated).

The height from the top of the bumper to the floor level is 5".

Total inside clearance with lid closed to the back of the front seats is 68".

A few details I'm thinking about is I'd like a relatively smooth surface (flat). The possibility of a folding ramp is cool, and it being fairly light.

A piece of plywood may suffice, but we all know that won't impress LOML.

Any suggestions?

• JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

HF sells several ramps for loading things into pickups:

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...amps&Submit=Go

The less expensive ones look to have metal anti-skid pieces stamped in, so it may be a little rough on paws. A sheet of ply with some carpet on it might help there...
    Joe

Comment

• cork58
      Established Member
      • Jan 2006
      • Wasilla, AK, USA.
      • BT3000

??

I have a set of ramps that you load a garden tractor into a pickup that I will never use. Would be to much to ship but why not check craigs list for something in your area. I also made a ramp for our aging weinner dogs a few years ago out of some scrap 2x and plywood to get up and down the the deck. They have since died but the new ones have a ramp with carpet on it. Again it is made out of scrap from other projects. I put slates on the first one but the carpet works best. Don't make it to much of an incline or they won't use it. For yours I would suggest maybe a hindge system.

Just my thoughts.

If you want the ramps they are yours, but I really thing you could make your own.
      Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I'm wondering - the dog's probably can't jump up into the back anymore but maybe they don't need a ramp... can they negotiate some steps? A few steps would make it much easier yet not have the length and bulk of the ramps.

Maybe three steps (9 inches each) and a ladder angle of about 60 degrees and an extended platform at the top (third step) 27" above the ground for the ladder to rest on top of the bumper would do the trick. Make it out of 1x4 or 1x6. Put some antiskid feet on the bottom.

well, ok, you said creative...

Another important factor - do they enjoy going out, riding in the SUV, and or to the vet? If they are reluctant to get in the SUV, none of these solutions are going to help much over physically lifting them...
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-06-2008, 12:12 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• wardprobst
          • Jan 2006
          • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
          • Craftsman 22811

I'd rip a piece of 3/8 decking maybe 18-20 inches wide then cut it in half. Use a piano hinge (hey, I got 'em laying around ) to join the two pieces. Run 1x2 frame underneath and use a 2x4 to hook over the lip of your truck. Cover with outdoor carpet remnants glued on with mastic. It'll be handy for other things also.
          DP
          PS Hang a T bone in the back to encourage the first trip up the ramp
          www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            I'm wondering - the dog's probably can't jump up into the back anymore but maybe they don't need a ramp... can they negotiate some steps? A few steps would make it much easier yet not have the length and bulk of the ramps.

Maybe three steps and a ladder angle of about 60 degrees and an extended platform at the top (third step) 27" above the ground for the ladder to rest on top of the bumper would do the trick. Make it out of 1x4 or 1x6.

If they can negotiate steps at home, this would be a great idea, that you could design with cuts that the steps would slide on and hold it together. Maybe use something like a window lock to hold them on!?
            Then you could disassemble and take it in the truck as well.

To get creative, I was going to say go to the lowrider section of town and have them hook pistons to your trucks bed, like a dump truck., then make it drop down.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

I think wardprobst's ramp is the better design; easily constructed and smaller profile to stow. It's exactly what I thought when I first read the thread. Orient the hinge so it won't fold when extended. I don't think it would be more than a 30degree incline if you make it 8' or longer. Two 4' long 24" wide sections would work. and still not be too troublesome to fold and slide back in the vehicle.

You could always do a carpet inlay with the dogs names to impress the lady.
              Erik

Comment

• jonmulzer
                • Dec 2007
                • Indianapolis, IN

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                To get creative, I was going to say go to the lowrider section of town and have them hook pistons to your trucks bed, like a dump truck., then make it drop down.
                Nah. You are looking at it the wrong way. Airbags to lower the truck to the point the framerails touch the ground. Then it would only be a 6" step for the dogs to get in, air them back up and take off.
                "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• charliex
                  • Mar 2004
                  • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
                  • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

New tool time

One of them Kubota tractor crawler things with a back hoe on one end and a fork lift on the other. Tell LOYL that if you had one can also put in the swimming pool and water feature in the back yard.
                  Chas

PS. I've been trying for years to get one of them, but LOML don't buy my arguments.

Comment

• jhart
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

Made a ramp to put a snowblower onto a small trailer out of some 3/4'" plywood. Made 2 strips about 12" wide and put a metal flange (I think from Northern tool or HF) that allowed it to lay over the end of the trailer. Worked slick and easy to handle. could easly store in the SUV as you drive so you can use them on both ends of the trip. For the dogs, I probably would get some indoor/outdoor carpet and cover them. Keep the dogs from slipping as go up and down.
                    Joe
                    "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• gsmittle
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                      • BT 3100

OK, you said creative....

One of those winches used to put an electric wheel chair in the back of a truck...m

Or something with solid-fuel rockets....

Or a low-power catapult...

Seriously, I think Ward's got the way to go, here.

g.

PS, no animals were harmed in creating the above suggestions.
                      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                      Bill & Ted

Comment

• cabinetman
                        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN

Maybe three steps (9 inches each) and a ladder angle of about 60 degrees and an extended platform at the top (third step) 27" above the ground for the ladder to rest on top of the bumper would do the trick. Make it out of 1x4 or 1x6. Put some antiskid feet on the bottom.

Another important factor - do they enjoy going out, riding in the SUV, and or to the vet? If they are reluctant to get in the SUV, none of these solutions are going to help much over physically lifting them...

I thought about steps, but neither dog has any experience with them. I fear the angle and separation might be a safety hazard. I even considered a folding ramp, that was actually steps that folded on each other, when pushed closed, but when extended, laid out flat to form a ramp.

Granted, lifting them is the most positive way, and it's what I've always done. But, I've had moments of losing footing on wet grass with a 100 LB dog in my arms and going down. Fortunately the only injuries were some aches and pains, and embarrassment with the entertainment I provided for the few witnesses.

There are logistic considerations. The rear door is a clamshell, and while holding the dog, the door has to be opened, and whatever I use will have to be pulled out and set up, and then coax the dog in. Once in, keep the dog at bay while gathering up the device, and then closing the door.

To unload the dog, the lid is opened, and before it gets even waist high, there's enough room for the dog to scoot out (which has happened). I solved that problem by a short lead to one of the forward "D" rings in the floor.

Part of my planning is to come up with an easy to use and easy to carry apparatus. Having it out of the way and not become a dangerous projectile bouncing around while driving.

Another possibility is to utilize the towing receiver to accept some ramp. I thought maybe some way to fabricate a ramp of sorts that would mount in the receiver and be able to flip up to drive, and flipped down to use. I even considered this winch powered lift. But, there's another $200. Maybe some thoughts on that idea?

Comment

Working...