• Show
Clear All
  • rnelson0
    Established Member
    • Feb 2008
    • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
    • Firestorm FS2500TS

Ambrosia Maple Lumber

Someone is selling some Ambrosia Maple Lumber on craigslist in my area - http://richmond.craigslist.org/mat/645725251.html

Is this a good wood to work with? It certainly looks pretty. I don't have a real *need* for something like this, but it seems like a fairly low price for such a spectacularly colored species. I can always find somewhere to use it down the line.

I also am afraid that I don't know what "clear and common #1 only" means, can someone help me out there?

Thanks.
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

Ambrosia Maple is Soft Maple that has been attacked by the larvae of the Ambrosia Bettle. The larvae makes the wormholes you will see and allows a fungus to invade causing the streaks.

It is nice wood to work, I still have a bunch myself. $2/bf is about average for pricing in my area (around DC). It does have an odor (like old sweatsocks) when you cut it, but it's harmless unless you have some blocked highschool memories in that noggin of yours.

The pieces with lots of streaks are the "good" stuff as the character is great for door panels and other accent pieces.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

that ambrosia beetle fungus makes it have very sought after character... the dark lines that follow the grain.

I think the beetle is the carrier for the fungus, it burrows in the wood and the fungus gets in the wood and follows the grain, making the desireable spalting.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

I believe the introduction of the fungus is part and parcel with the livelihood of the beetle larvae, as they use it for food. Ambrosia maple, particularly the heavily patterned pieces, is a prized turning wood. It is always one of the first picks of my pen "customers". I like to cut my blanks on an angle, as it really displays the staining in a striking manner.

Comment

• Popeye
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Woodbine, Ga
          • Grizzly 1023SL

Sure wish it wasn't so far from here. Two of my best pieces of furniture were made from this stuff. Works well and a clear finish makes it beautiful. Pat
          Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• mschrank
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2004
            • Hood River, OR, USA.
            • BT3000

Originally posted by rnelson0

I also am afraid that I don't know what "clear and common #1 only" means, can someone help me out there?

Thanks.
            "Clear" means no knots.

"Common #1" means the piece must be at least 3" wide by at least 4' long. There are some more specifics, such as a minimum size for a clear cut (#1 common could have knots, as long as you can get a 4" x 2' or 3" x 3' foot clear piece out of it.)

Google "Hardwood lumber grading" for specifics and descriptions of other grades.
            Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

Working...