• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cwithboat
    • Jan 2008
    • 47deg54.3'N 122deg34.7'W
    • Craftsman Pro 21829

Which wood?

I am the proud owner of a Sansui 800 stereo receiver. I bought it while in Japan in the navy in 1963; it is, beyond measure, the finest piece of electronic equipment I have ever owned. It still functions flawlessly. Over the years I have had to replace a couple of miniature light bulbs, nothing else. The receiver has been encased in a particle board cabinet with walnut veneer. Over the years the material has swelled due, no doubt, to the heat generated by the receiver and climatic variations. I would like to replace the cabinet. What wood should I use to accommodate the heat cycling? It is not a very large item, so even exotic woods would fit in my budget, and an elegant appearance is desired.
    regards,
    Charlie
    A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
    Rudyard Kipling
  • Popeye
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Woodbine, Ga
    • Grizzly 1023SL

Something like that would look good in teak. I think I might also think about enlarging the cabinet and adding a computer ventilation fan.
    Navy in 63? Man I thought I was the old salt around here, but you have me by at least 8 years Pat
    Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

If you use a hardwood veneer faced plywood, you wouldn't have any issues.

Comment

• cwithboat
        • Jan 2008
        • Craftsman Pro 21829

Originally posted by Popeye
        Something like that would look good in teak. I think I might also think about enlarging the cabinet and adding a computer ventilation fan.
        Navy in 63? Man I thought I was the old salt around here, but you have me by at least 8 years Pat
        Yeah, I patrolled the Great Dismal Swamp for JFK during the Cuban missile crisis and then chased gunboats with the Maddox and TJ in the gulf of Tonkin, then got extended (now called stop-loss) until I was released and went to college as a member of the first VN GI Bill class. I have worked with Teak (and Holly) before, that's a good solution. No fans though, the Sansui has weathered 45 years without them and I don't need the noise.
        regards,
        Charlie
        Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

C-Man is right. Any quality hardwood ply would work great. At the same time, I don't think the heat factor is enough to rule out any wood you want, as long as it is fully dried.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Are there any attractive hardwoods native to the region of Japan you were stationed at when you bought it?
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

hey if its that great, then you should just get some real solid walnut and make a cabinet in the original style but out of solid walnut!

Keep the original classic look and appeal but make it out of better materials to last another 50 years.

The old Marantz classics of the 60's and 70's had optional walnut surround enclosures, rabetted for the panel faces and chamfered on the inside edges for an elegant look... not easy to do the chamfer handsomely on laminates and ply. For the Marantz collectors, a wood cabinet in excellent shape is highly prized.

here's some pround owners' photo of a Marantz in a WC22 walnut cabinet, probably dates to the early-mid 70's:
              http://sportsbil.com/stereo/mrntz_2285b/

Here's an attached pic of another:
              Attached Files
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-21-2008, 12:23 AM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                The Full Monte
                • May 2007
                • Sunshine State
                • BT3000

When I saw this, I immediately thought of walnut-veneer ply. Good dimensional stability in all directions, and you can finish it beautifully.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

As I previously suggested a hardwood plywood is your best bet. If you want some sort of detailed edge, cut the plywood in running lengths, and add a solid wood edge. Then do whatever machining to the lengths. When you cut the sides and top and bottom, it would be like working with solid wood. You could do a mitered corner or lock miter, for the joinery.

Comment

• cwithboat
                    • Jan 2008
                    • Craftsman Pro 21829

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                    here's some pround owners' photo of a Marantz in a WC22 walnut cabinet, probably dates to the early-mid 70's:
                    http://sportsbil.com/stereo/mrntz_2285b/

Here's an attached pic of another:
                    Thanks Loring. That looks very much like the old enclosure.
                    regards,
                    Charlie
                    Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• germdoc
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2003
                      • Omaha, NE
                      • BT3000--the gray ghost

Maybe I'm in the minority but I would think for a cabinet that small the effect of wood movement would be minimal--you can make it a little (1/32" or so) oversize and attach with some play to allow for movement. I've made many boxes that size out of maple, walnut, etc., and there's no noticable movement.

If it warps, you can always replace it...

You might think of a highly figured exotic wood like bubinga or cocobolo or padauk. You could put in a strip of contrasting wood like purpleheart or ebony or add an inlay. I would be tempted to dovetail the joints, but that's just me--I love dovetailed joints!
                      Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• cwithboat
                        • Jan 2008
                        • Craftsman Pro 21829

Thank you all for your inputs. In the end the decision was made on the available stock at the only lumber store in the area (i.e., requires no bridge or ferry travel) that carries hardwood. I choose mahogany S2S because it was the prettiest piece and because it was 10 1/4 " wide, allowing a two piece top panel.
                        regards,
                        Charlie
                        Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...