• Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Drilling at 45*?

I need to drill holes at a 45* angle for some #5x1" brass screws. I've never had to drill at such a steep angle let alone with a very small diameter drill. How do I do this without having the drill bend? The smallest brad point drill that I have is 1/8" but I'm thinking that If I use a drill diameter to match the screw head I can clamp the workpiece at 45* and use this to cut the counterbore first. Then, I can use the brad point left by that to center and align the small diameter twist drill. Do I have my ducks in a row? I just need a little reinforcement on this procedure.
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Since you're putting in small screws, you can probably make a 45-degree pilot hole with a hammer and sharp nail. Then switch to the drill and bore the bigger hole. At that angle, you may need to chuck the bit shallow, so your drill chuck won't hit the work. They do make angle drilling jigs, similar to the one on the Kreg system, but you probably can save the cash.

Comment

• iceman61
      • Oct 2007
      • West TN
      • Bosch 4100-09

The way I always drill 45 degree holes is 1st start drilling out at a 90 degree angle. As soon as the bit starts to bite into the material, then you start tilting the bit around to 45 degrees. But start the tilt before you get too far into the material. Works like a champ.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I use Iceman's technique.
        Sort of depends on how exact you need the location and how exact you need the angle.
        Another way of doing it is to drill a guide hole in a piece of 2x4 then cut the 2x4 at a 45 degree angle. Then use the 2x4 as a guide positioning the drill bit in a dimple you made with a center punch, then clamp doen the guide.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Roger Ronas
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2008

Use a center drill. It's a metal working drill bit, that has a large shank and very small short drill to drill with. They come in different sizes.
          Enco or MSC has them.

HTH
          Roger

Comment

• ironhat
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            I use Iceman's technique.

I have too on rough construction - I should have been more specific this is into cherry and although it won't be seen I don't want it chipped up either.

Sort of depends on how exact you need the location and how exact you need the angle.
            Another way of doing it is to drill a guide hole in a piece of 2x4 then cut the 2x4 at a 45 degree angle. Then use the 2x4 as a guide positioning the drill bit in a dimple you made with a center punch, then clamp doen the guide.
            I like that idea. Many thanks!

Originally posted by Roger Ronas
            Use a center drill. It's a metal working drill bit, that has a large shank and very small short drill to drill with. They come in different sizes.
            Enco or MSC has them.

HTH
            Roger
            I do recall seeing these. Thanks for the info, Rog!
            Blessings,
            Chiz

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

It is not real precise but what I normally do it drill a little straight in and then switch to the angle I need.

Jim

Comment

Working...