• cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Using all-thread to spread glue

I received this tip via E-Mail today:

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/re...ue1/index.html

In case the link ever goes dead, the tip suggests using all-thread to spread glue on larger surfaces to get a good, even film.

Kinda clever, although I'm not sure it will work for those of you using metric.
  • JeffG78
    Established Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
    • BT3100

Interesting. I wonder how well it would work on sheet goods? I need to glue multiple layers of MDF together for my workbench tops in the next few days. I can see the all thread working well for narrow stock like in the link, but sheet stock might make the rod hard to hold. I don't have a roller applicator, but I think I read on here that using a fake junk mail credit card works well.

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

This is interesting, and it's something I've had a problem with. Lately, I've been using my finger to spred glue, but not on really wide pieces. It seems to work better for me than using a credit card or something similar. I'm getting less squeeze-out, but enough glue for a strong bond.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• sweensdv
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • WI
        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

For larger glue up projects I've had good luck using those black foam brushes. Rinse out the brush with warm water when done and it's as good as new.

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

The all-thread may be the perfect "notch" size, but I don't see why you couldn't duplicate this by filing notches into a credit card. I have used a plain credit card but have had to spend a decent amount of time getting the film thickness even. So I think some sort of notch would help.

Comment

• Habe
            Established Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Indianapolis, IN, USA.

But now the real debate, use 18 pitch thread or 24 pitch?????
            Habe

Comment

• pecker
              Established Member
              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by JeffG78
              Interesting. I wonder how well it would work on sheet goods? I need to glue multiple layers of MDF together for my workbench tops in the next few days. I can see the all thread working well for narrow stock like in the link, but sheet stock might make the rod hard to hold. I don't have a roller applicator, but I think I read on here that using a fake junk mail credit card works well.
              You can buy a 3" "trim roller" at the Home Despot paint department, along with a 9" "adhesive roller cover". Cut the roller cover into thirds and put one of them on the trim roller. I use this method frequently for spreading glue over large surface.

The total cost won't be $10 and you can rinse the glue out of the covers and reuse them.

Comment

• Stytooner
                Roll Tide RIP Lee
                • Dec 2002
                • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                • BT3100

Originally posted by pecker
                You can buy a 3" "trim roller" at the Home Despot paint department, along with a 9" "adhesive roller cover". Cut the roller cover into thirds and put one of them on the trim roller. I use this method frequently for spreading glue over large surface.

The total cost won't be $10 and you can rinse the glue out of the covers and reuse them.
                This is precisely how I do it. They use rollers in cabinet shops and factories for both PVA glue and contact cement.
                The only thing you want ridges for is like laying tile for flooring and on the wall. Adhering things with rough or uneven surfaces.
                You don't want ridges under laminates or veneers. The objective is to remove all the air between the surfaces and ridges make that pretty difficult to do. Rollers do a great job of both leveling the surface and being quick about it so it doesn't encroach on your open working time.
                Lee

Comment

• JeffG78
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                  • BT3100

Thanks a million! I will stop by HD on my way home and pick them up. Is there any glue drizzle method that works best with adhesive rollers?

Comment

• poolhound
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Phoenix, AZ
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by pecker

I have looked more than once in HD for such items and not found any. I even asked but all they showed me were the foam ones. I am going to have to go back and have yet another look, this seems like a great solution.
                    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                    techzibits.com

Comment

• Stytooner
                      Roll Tide RIP Lee
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                      • BT3100

They don't have to be specifically for adhesive. Close nap rollers are what you are looking for. Even the foam ones work to some degree.

Application varies for different types of glue and sizes of projects. Paint trays work great for large jobs. Use only metal ones for contact cement. DAMHIKT.
                      I usually just pour some out in a pool and work it around. That method takes a little practice though. You want your roller saturated to start with and then work it around.
                      Lee

Comment

• mschrank
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2004
                        • Hood River, OR, USA.
                        • BT3000

I found one of these in the paint dept at Ace...less than a buck. I've used it when face gluing up MDF panels for things like router tables:

http://www.reddevil.com/productDetai...RT&c=mt&cat=33

It's about 3" x 3", and has different sized V-notches along each edge. Cleans up easy.
                        Last edited by mschrank; 12-18-2008, 02:23 PM.
                        Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• rjwaldren
                          Established Member
                          • Nov 2007
                          • Fresno, CA

Originally posted by Stytooner
                          You don't want ridges under laminates or veneers.
                          With yellow wood glues will flow so the ridges will smooth themselves, I think their point is that it spreads a very thin consistent layer. The allthread grooves do a very nice job of this since the outer thread rides the surface of the material leaving only the glue that makes it through the gaps behind. I've used a rubber rollers or cards - the consistency of the glue layer depends on the operator, and is very time consuming to get right on large laminations.

I tried it last night and had good consistent results. I lightly notched a plastic putty knife with a file to make a nice spreader.

Comment

• Stytooner
                            Roll Tide RIP Lee
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                            • BT3100

I see. As I said, rollers will take a little practice, but I don't see how all thread will yield any better consistency. To be honest about it, I have never tried the all thread.
                            Lee

Comment

• pecker
                              Established Member
                              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by poolhound
                              I have looked more than once in HD for such items and not found any. I even asked but all they showed me were the foam ones. I am going to have to go back and have yet another look, this seems like a great solution.
                              Well, it's probably been a year since I bought any. But you can also try Ace Hardware:
                              http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(ht...rce=GoogleBase

or an arts and crafts store:
                              http://www.misterart.com/g4667/Linze...&WT.mc_id=4667

They have a very short nylon nap...the fibers don't pull out when the glue gets tacky. You can actually use them with contact cement, too.

Comment

Working...