Anyone build their own kitchen cabinets?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Schleeper
    Established Member
    • Feb 2008

Anyone build their own kitchen cabinets?

In the 4 years since we moved in to our current home, we've remodeled 3 baths, and changed the flooring nearly everywhere else. Only the big project remains - the kitchen. This year we want to replace the cabinets, countertop, and vinyl flooring. While I have no interest in tackling the solid surface (granite?) counter, I'm perfectly capable of laying a pre-finished hardwood floor, and installing cabinets. However, I'm seriously considering stretching beyond that, to building the cabinets (or the plywood boxes, at least) instead of buying. Am I crazy? (I suspect LOML thinks so!)

If I actualy decide to go through with it, I know I'll be trying to soak up as much how-to info from this site as I can get. For now, however, I'd love to hear from anyone who's been faced with this same decision before. If you DID build your own cabinets, were you pleased with the results? Would you do it again? If you decided against it, why?
    "I know it when I see it." (Justice Potter Stewart)
  • jziegler
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Salem, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

Are you crazy? Maybe. How big is the kitchen? How many cabinets will you need to build, and how big are they? How long are you willing to work on the project?

I built my own kitchen cabinets, but it's a small kitchen. I also took a year and a half to work on it, doing one area in the kitchen at a time (and there are still a few small finishing touches for me to do a year after the major work was done).

In my case, the results were good. There are some mistakes here and there, but nothing that keeps the cabinets from looking good or working well. I learned plenty of lessons and would do some things differently a second time, but am happy with the results. I'd do it again, mostly due to cost, since my oddball small kitchen requires full custom cabinetry to get the most out of the space. A more normal kitchen in a modern house, well, maybe I would have bought stock cabinets.

What are your reasons for wanting to build your own cabinets? I think that's the first big question you need to ask yourself.

Jim

Comment

• Lee4847
      Established Member
      • Feb 2006
      • Canton, Oh
      • BT3100

Another Crazy

I spent a year making and installing my new kitchen. Along the way I also replaced a window, a door, rewired, and new trim. I also built my shop so I could make the cabinets!

I saved a ton of money even with the cost of the tools I bought!

Lee
      Cut twice.... measure??

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

The cost can vary from cheaper, to way more expensive, if you don't already have the tools.

Something for you and your wife to watch is The New Yankee Workshop is currently into their 10 part series on building Kitchen cabinets. Check out your local PBS station and watch it with her for idea's and to see if you feel capable (toolwise).
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• dkhoward
          • Dec 2003
          • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
          • bt3000

I am about to tackle this very project myself. It will include stripping the existing kitchen down to the bare concrete slab, to the studs and rafters, new wiring, new windows. Most of the appliances are already on hand. I have been buying some tools as I go along with this in mind like a Kreg Pocket Jig Pro, lots of new clamps, etc.
          We are planning on either granite or composite counter tops, slate floor, and tile back splashes, a new apron front sink and all new fixtures.
          Dennis K Howard
          www.geocities.com/dennishoward
          "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

I would have to answer that question yes, but that's what I do. Not really a difficult task even for a beginner. Just a bunch of boxes with doors. Once you understand joining techniques and become familiar on how to fabricate with the material you use, it a matter of following steps.

Space may be a problem. Once you get some boxes together, you start running out of room. Planning the entire job, from start to finish including all the logistics will make it go easier. I can also suggest that you create good paperwork. By that I mean take accurate measurements, do a floor plan, elevation, section, and detail drawings. Also create a cut list, and layout sheet showing how the parts will be cut from sheet stock.

But, fear not, you will have all the help here to get you through.

Comment

• Popeye
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Woodbine, Ga
              • Grizzly 1023SL

Started 3 weeks ago.......the layout isn't changing much but the material and useability is. I'm not using any fancy joinery, heavy on the pocket screws and glue. Doors and drawers are where all the work is. The only doors on the base cabinets are on the sink cabinet. Everything else is deep drawers and a pull out pantry cabinet. Mine are built and now I'm into the hand sanding that I love so well to get ready for spraying.
              Carcases take up a ton of room. Mine are in the living room. I only use the family room. I live alone. Here are a few pics. Pat
              Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• RayintheUK
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2003
                • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Building your own cabinets is more about the satisfaction of having done it, than the expectation of saving money. The wear in any kitchen is mainly in the hinges and runners, so it really is false economy to skimp on the hardware. As Cman says, it's boxes with doors in the main, but drawer units are a little more tricky. A kitchen I did (in phases) for a friend is shown here

If you can do it in phases, you should not have a problem with storing the new stuff - otherwise you will run out of room fairly quickly.

Good luck!

Ray.
                Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• OpaDC
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2008
                  • Pensacola, FL
                  • Ridgid TS3650

I would like to know what materials you finally end up using. And also how the doors and drawers look. Keep us posted on your progress once you start.

RayintheUK , I'm curious, looked at the pics and wondering about the inch or so gap from cabinets to ceiling. Not being critical, but seems like dust collection points (Dad has bad allergies and dust bog problem for him.)

second star to the right and straight on til morning

Comment

• ragswl4
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Winchester, Ca
                    • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by Schleeper
                    In the 4 years since we moved in to our current home, we've remodeled 3 baths, and changed the flooring nearly everywhere else. Only the big project remains - the kitchen. This year we want to replace the cabinets, countertop, and vinyl flooring. While I have no interest in tackling the solid surface (granite?) counter, I'm perfectly capable of laying a pre-finished hardwood floor, and installing cabinets. However, I'm seriously considering stretching beyond that, to building the cabinets (or the plywood boxes, at least) instead of buying. Am I crazy? (I suspect LOML thinks so!)

If I actualy decide to go through with it, I know I'll be trying to soak up as much how-to info from this site as I can get. For now, however, I'd love to hear from anyone who's been faced with this same decision before. If you DID build your own cabinets, were you pleased with the results? Would you do it again? If you decided against it, why?
                    I was faced with the same decision. A quote from Home Depot on our kitchen outfitted with upper end cabinets was $16K. For around $5K I purchased the wood (Goncalo Alves) and the sheet material, hinges and hardware and will end up with better cabinets. I already had the majority of the tools but even if I didn't it would still have been a lot less expensive than purchasing the cabinets. Keep in mind that it will take considerable time to complete so if time is an issue that another consideration.

The other option is to build the carcases and purchase the doors which will still be less expensive than purchasing cabinets and take less time.

If you decide to build them on your own, practice making a door of your choice first and see how it turns out and that you are satisfied with the quality that you are able to produce. Building the carcases and face frames (if you chose that type of cabinet) is the easy part. The doors are where the craftsmanship will show the most.
                    RAGS
                    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                    sigpic

Comment

• Dax
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jan 2006
                      • Hilliard Ohio
                      • BT3100

I am on my way like others said above. I have the tools and the drawings. Just need the wood and time. It has been two years in the making and i have purchased several books on the subject. The boxes really are simple but there are a number of construction techniques you can use. I am going with a modified version of Sommerfeld Tools tongue and groove box construction. The New Yankee Workshop is dados and screws. Then there is the non-faceframe type of cabinet which has its advantages. Doors are the more challenging endeavor and where I think you can save or spend considerable money. Solid wood raised panel doors are the most time consuming and expensive to construct. I am opting for a shaker style door that uses cherry veneer plywood. This will save considerable dollars compared to solid wood and will speed up construction. Norm on the yankee workshop series is doing a painted sytle of door that looks sharp too. It would be even cheaper still.

Like others, the work will include a door, window, and electrical work too.

I decided to go this route for several reasons. First I see potential for cost savings over commercial units from the local box store. Even if I include the tools I purchased (especially if I use the tools for other projects on the wife's list). Secondly, I think the cabinets I build will be superior in quality to the mass produced cabinets from the box store. Finally, the tools I have aquired will have utility beyond the kitchen project.

Comment

• New Guy
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jun 2006
                        • Sierra Lakes golf course Fontana Ca
                        • BT3100

I am going to do the same thing. I found that the layout was the hardest thing to come up with. This is the third layout and I have to move some walls around. I was able to get a leigh fmt for m/t joints.
                        Last edited by New Guy; 02-20-2008, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• RayintheUK
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 2003
                          • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                          • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by OpaDC
                          RayintheUK , I'm curious, looked at the pics and wondering about the inch or so gap from cabinets to ceiling. Not being critical, but seems like dust collection points (Dad has bad allergies and dust bog problem for him.)
                          The cabinets were hung on a double row of French cleats, so there was nothing to be done about the small gap. My friend knew about this before construction, but preferred the extra height gain.

The ceiling is dimpled plaster, so even with a small top cornice the gap would not be totally sealed. She runs a thin acrylic dust pole along the tops now and again. She's delighted with the cabinets in use and I guess that's what counts.

Ray.
                          Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• kirkroy
                            Established Member
                            • Feb 2007
                            • Brunswick, MD

I have been DVRing the New Yankee kitchen series (actually, I record all episodes) and could be convinced to put what I have on DVD for you...

Comment

• rnelson0
                              Established Member
                              • Feb 2008
                              • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
                              • Firestorm FS2500TS

If you decide to build them on your own, practice making a door of your choice first and see how it turns out and that you are satisfied with the quality that you are able to produce. Building the carcases and face frames (if you chose that type of cabinet) is the easy part. The doors are where the craftsmanship will show the most.
                              I would think it might be best to try something that has everything a kitchen cabinet has - carcass, drawers, and anything else fancy you want - before starting on the whole kitchen. A bathroom vanity with a small drawer below the door(s) might be a good test project, or a nightstand. Chances are you could use a new one anyway, and it's probably best to start with a $100 project instead of a few grand project and find out you don't really want to do it

I have been DVRing the New Yankee kitchen series (actually, I record all episodes) and could be convinced to put what I have on DVD for you...
                              Norm just finished the season and is selling the 9 part series on DVD.

The older ones are on VHS only, and I'd love if someone can get me the DVD version of a few, but at least pay Norm for the plans first. I ordered the Steamer Chest but it's VHS only, so i need to pay another $12.50 to have a local guy convert it to DVD

Comment

Working...