• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charliex
    • Mar 2004
    • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
    • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Veneer question

I know that store bought veneer is very thin and I would like to try veneering BB ply. using my own re-saw veneer. My question is: What is the max thickness that can should be used? Also what problems can come from using thicker veneer? Say on the order of 3/16. Thanks in advance for your responses.
    Chas
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

We used to veneer 1/4 thick wood onto ash, poplar and bass. no issues.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

At 3/16", it will be thick enough to curl and pull loose if the glue-up is not thorough. But if you coat it right and clamp it good, you'll be golden.

Comment

• drumpriest
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
        • Powermatic PM 2000

I use my own sawn veneers for marquetry as, and I typically go with 1/16". resaw at 3/32", and drum sand down to 1/16". So long as your veneers are balanced, I don't think you'd have issues going thicker though. Perhaps a bigger question is why would you use thicker? The 1/16" for marquetry is so that it'll hold together without issues when sawing it. It's also nice to have enough there that a scratch or small dent isn't tragic. If you are worried about being able to resaw that with accuracy, it takes practice, and test cuts to get your drift angle tweaked out, and a high aux fence for the BS, but isn't really all THAT hard.
        Keith Z. Leonard
        Go Steelers!

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Actually you could use the term "veneer" to cover most thicknesses or even the word "lamination" may apply. As stated, using the proper glue and clamping (pressure) procedures, will insure a good bond.

Comment

• Carlos
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Depending on the wood, and its age, you may have some stability issues due to internal stresses and moisture release. Ask me how I know this... I have learned to cut it and then let it sit for a while before use.

My latest home-sawn veneer came out at .07" thick and was a bit of a pain to glue up due to Wenge's internal stresses that show up immediately on a thin re-saw. When I tried a thicker piece, that was much more stable.

Comment

• drumpriest
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
              • Powermatic PM 2000

Carlos does raise a good point. There are some species that are particularly prone to developing these stresses, and creating problems. Wenge is one, for sure, as is Lignum Vitae.
              Keith Z. Leonard
              Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...