• Show
Clear All
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Do you get bored on long jobs?

Hey all, I wanted to know if it was just me or does this happen to everyone from time to time. Your working on a big job, wether it be time consuming, detailed, difficult, or other things start to go wrong along the way and those have to be fixed as well or combination of all and you just lose your speed and the job takes that much longer to finish?
    It doesn't have to be woodworking.
    Does this happen to anyone else?
    Do you finish the job?

God, I hope I am not the only one in Hel l
    Yes, and I finish
    78.95%
    No
    11.84%
    Yes, and I don't finish the job
    9.21%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by chopnhack; 01-11-2008, 10:08 PM.
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

There are certain specific tasks that bore/annoy me, like sanding. But in general no, I'm not bored by wood projects (or metalworking projects). But when I get bored with sanding...hope it's ready for the finish because it's going on now.

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

All the time, especially on projects I didn't want to do in the first place. I normally finish them.....EVENTUALLY!
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• jackellis
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

Depends. I've worked on projects that lasted for years (at work). Those get finished. Some projects on the honey do list are still unfinished.

Comment

• Carlos
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Well, yeah, we should define "projects." Things I wanted to do to begin with, and things I gotta do are way different.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

There are stages of a project that are necessary, but not looked forward to. Some of those may be all the measuring at the jobsite, or doing all the drawings, figuring materials, or intermittent stages of fabrication. Sizing all the sheet stock, or cutting all the blanks for carcasses, shelves or drawers, become a repetitious segment of the project.

I don't really consider those segments boring, maybe just an "oh well".

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

I've personally found that sleeping through the boring parts often helps...

Comment

• JoeyGee
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                • BT3100-1

No, my shop time is so fragmented and short that whatever time I get to work on whatever aspect of a project is always fun.
                Joe

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I don't care for sanding, but I don't let it bore me as I can do it inter-mittenly. I used to hate applying finish with the dry times I allow, but I find other things to do while it cures. But.. if I start it, it will get finished and usually close to the time I anticipated.

I spent a year leading a hunter-killer team in VN. We would be out for 3-6 days a time. There was no talking with the exception of whispers over the radio if a fire mission or extraction was necessary. Radio checks (is all well and are you OK) was done by clicking the radio activation button. Communicating with team members was done mainly by hand signal and eye and head movement.

We would watch a trail intersection (etc.) from sun-up till sun-down while lying basically motion-less in the prone position during the day-light hours. You ate (a simple LRRP dehydrated ration) in that same spot.. you drank from a canteen in that same spot.. you urinated in that same spot.. you got an occasional cat-nap in that same spot.

The high-light of the day was spending about an hour or so crawling to another hide usaully within 200 meters just after dark just in case your position had been compromised. And of course sleeping when you got there as two would sit awake and monitor in two hour shifts while 4 slept. This rotated till day-break when you resumed all eyes watching for targets of opportunity.

So.. does wood projects bore me and I get off task? Nah.... pretty exciting stuff to me from the time an idea is formed till the piece is well... signed.. sealed.. delivered and I hear the words.... "Now build me a.........

Comment

• rcp612
                    Established Member
                    • May 2005
                    • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
                    • Bosch 4100-09

My job has been going on for nearly 5 years now. My previous job went 7 years before I left it for this job. The only reason I'm still there is that the bank wants me to have an income for them.
                    Oh!! You meant a woodworking job?
                    Never happened to me!
                    Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

• Crash2510
                      • Feb 2006
                      • North Central Ohio

working with an electrical contractor some of our jobs can last 8 months solid or more

they get super monotonous, but they must be finished so just tough it out. Same way with woodworking when I find a "job" becoming tiring I tend to hurry to the finish, taking enough time to make it look nice of course
                      Phil In Ohio
                      The basement woodworker

Comment

• chopnhack
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2006
                        • Florida
                        • Ryobi BT3100

I am glad to see that I am not the only one!
                        Sarge, I have to appologize to you - anything that you do now would have to be more exciting than your previous missions
                        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

I don't get bored but I do get into a project and stop for a few days or months. In the case of my router center and hutch; both of them took about two years from start to finish.

I didn't get bored with those but I did get to points that I needed to think the next part through, or find the right board for the next step because the board or grain that I had wasn't to my liking for the situation, . . . or I needed to change something, or add something in.

For hinges, I will wait 3 or 4 months until I find or order the right/different ones (and this is after I already have what I initially thought would look good); For drawer slides, if I found that the ones I had on hand and planned to use did not do precisely what I needed, I would look for the right one and wait until I found it, even if it took several months.

Not bored, just want it to do and be the way I want it.
                          Last edited by leehljp; 01-13-2008, 05:47 AM.
                          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• JimD
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2003
                            • Lexington, SC.

At my job I serve customers directly and that is always a little different. I have engineers that work for me I can have do something if it gets too time consuming (and is simple enough for them to do). I do difficult undersirable things first thing. Gets them out of the way.

Woodworking or other stuff around the house, I like the cutting to size and assembling. I do not like the sanding -but it goes pretty fast so I can endure it - and finishing. Normally finishing also goes pretty fast but I've been making plantation shutters and finishing the louvers before assembly. VERY time consuming and boring. I'm taking a break after finishing 6 windows. Fortunately I can look at each window as a completed project and say I've completed something - instead of not-completed since I have 4 bedroom windows to go plus some others I should probably do.

Jim

Comment

• Ed62
                              The Full Monte
                              • Oct 2006
                              • NW Indiana
                              • BT3K

Yes, it happens. I built an addition to our home, and it took longer to finish than I expected. I did get it completely done, including the things I could have forgotten about. If it weren't for my wife, it probably would have taken longer, but eventually it would get done.

Ed
                              Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

Working...