Any uniqued challenge coin display ideas out there?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeMcCoy
    • Nov 2004
    • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
    • Delta Contractor Saw

Any uniqued challenge coin display ideas out there?

Long time retired USMC friend and coworker is retiring from his second career and his wife has asked me to make him a display rack for his challenge coin collection. The traditional ones are easily copied but since there is such a large military group on this forum, just thought I'd ask if anyone has come across a one of a kind type.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

i looked briefly thru the internet offerings and they all look depressingly the same.
    How about a wall hanging cabinet. With coins mounted behind glass on vertical wooden holders. Then have a mechanism to gang-rotate the holders at least 180 degrees to see the reverse side?
    Or a motorized rotator to rotate the holders continuously, about once per 30 seconds?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

how many coins does he have?

what about something that is similar to a miniature dish display; small grooves that hold the coins vertical on a shelf?
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
        • Nov 2004
        • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
        • Delta Contractor Saw

I could not find anything "special" on the net either. I did not mention that this is to sit on his desk so wall mount will not work. She gave me rough dimensions of 15X5 with four rows and I am leaning toward a stair step type of aproach.

Comment

• Duff
          Established Member
          • Apr 2007
          • San Antonio, TX
          • Enco 12" RT

Funny you ask about this, as I'm literally in the middle of creating 4 coin displays for friends with varying numbers of coins/rows to display. I created frames and had custom glass cut for each and should have pictures of either the rough or final projects up by Sunday/Monday. I don't like the dadoed planks so I've considered something resembling a round stair setup. BUT back to my frames, the backs come off and the coins go into appropriate pockets, then you put the frame back onto the coins and adjust the fasteners to hold the pieces together. Almost exactly as I do my shadowboxes. Would LOVE to see other peoples works on this.

D
          Enco 12" RT table saw(with router table currently added to right wing), Central Machinary 6" jointer, Delta 16" (17-900) drill press, Ridgid 14" bandsaw, Jet bench top Mortising machine, Porter Cable 6901 series routers (2) and a wide variety of Ryobi 18v tools.

Comment

• Duff
            Established Member
            • Apr 2007
            • San Antonio, TX
            • Enco 12" RT

Alright, here is the prototype I made up last month for practice:

I know there isn't any glass

Back side with toggles to swing around and lock the back in place, literally like the shadow boxes I make and
            picture frames. The toggles or what ever they're called are straight from Lowes in the screen window section:

Rabbits cut out of frame first and I have the glass cut to size (about 1/8" clearance from final product before I glue and
            brad the ends on with the glass locked in place. The burn of the wood has been corrected (dirty blade replaced):

A little clearance for the coin support strips so it doesn't hit the frame when reassembled. As I'm typing this, I realized
            I could cut down on the toggles by alot if I used a pair of small hinges on the bottom. . . . MODIFICATIONS in progress

I will be adding hanging hardware so these can be displayed on the wall and an option of a frame stand for desk/mantle use:

This shows I've just got simple spacing involved.

None of the displays are completed as of yet. Minor sanding remains along with staining and finishing. Just getting the
            idea across.

Thoughts?
            Enco 12" RT table saw(with router table currently added to right wing), Central Machinary 6" jointer, Delta 16" (17-900) drill press, Ridgid 14" bandsaw, Jet bench top Mortising machine, Porter Cable 6901 series routers (2) and a wide variety of Ryobi 18v tools.

Comment

• dkhoward
              • Dec 2003
              • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
              • bt3000

What if you created basically the same design but instead of a solid back, you sandwiched the coins between two pieces of glass to that both sides could be seen. If you didnt want to make it necessary to remove glass to change or add coins, make one of the sides slide out so that the coins could be removed, changed, added, etc
              Dennis K Howard
              www.geocities.com/dennishoward
              "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

Working...