X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • unknown poster
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006

What glue to use with plywood?

I got a great response to my blondwood question, after reading the answers, doing some research, and going back to Lowes, I think birch plywood may actually work better for me and it's not too much more money.

So now that I'm settled on plywood I need to figure out how to get it together. The project mushroomed a bit and I'll need to glue on some trim and possibly glue on some glue blocks to hold some pieces of plywood together. I'll be supplementing the glue with screws on the glue blocks and brads on the trim.

So what glue do I use for this? Just regular yellow wood glue, any particular brands to look for/stay away from?
  • unknown poster
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006

I intend to stain this wood, if that affects my glue options.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Just about any white (like Elmers) or yellow wood glue will work. I prefer Titebond II for interior use, and TB III for exterior use.

Comment

• RodKirby
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
        • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Originally posted by cabinetman
        ...I prefer Titebond II for interior use, and TB III for exterior use.
        ....Ditto!
        Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

any white or yellow wood glue or one of the premium ones like titebond x
          will work. You just can't get a good glue bond to the edges, the best glue bonds are long-grain to long grain and pretty much the edge of all plywood is like end grain which gives the worst glue bonds.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            any white or yellow wood glue or one of the premium ones like titebond x
            will work. You just can't get a good glue bond to the edges, the best glue bonds are long-grain to long grain and pretty much the edge of all plywood is like end grain which gives the worst glue bonds.

We don't want to disillusion him. The edge is similar to end grain. If you have sufficient glue, clamped up and/or fastened, you can get an excellent bond. Plain butt joints would be the weakest of joinery. Joints that have more than one glue surface, such as dadoes, rabbets, etc, produce even better bonds than just a butt joint. I dread the thought of gettin' it apart once cured.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cabinetman
              We don't want to disillusion him. The edge is similar to end grain. If you have sufficient glue, clamped up and/or fastened, you can get an excellent bond. Plain butt joints would be the weakest of joinery. Joints that have more than one glue surface, such as dadoes, rabbets, etc, produce even better bonds than just a butt joint. I dread the thought of gettin' it apart once cured.
              I guess i didn't complete the thoughts.

Accordingly, pure butt joints would be the worst. Rabetted and dadoed joints where part of the glued surfaces includes some glue on the veneer faces would be much better.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Alex Franke
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2007
                • Chapel Hill, NC
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by RodKirby
                ....Ditto!
                ... Ditto, ditto! Just as cabinetman says, Titebond is all you need.
                online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

Working...