• Show
Clear All
  • avaserfi
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2007
    • Ames, IA
    • No room for one - yet. :(

Can't find HDF - Speaker Build

Hey guys, I just found this site and think it might be the perfect place for me . I do quiet a bit of various woodworking and have recently delved into the world of speaker designing using the Toole approach to design. Currently I am designing a modular 4-way speaker with near zero cabinet resonance, but am running into one big problem. I cannot find a local or online HDF supplier that has 3/4" sheets and was hoping someone could help me out there!

I will be doing the build in the Dallas TX area and have been calling everywhere, but the best I can find is double refined MDF which has a density of about 55lbs per cubic foot. I have a friend who does this and he uses HDF with a density of 80-100lbs per cubic foot and I would really like to get a material of comparable density as I don't want to make a steel/MDF laminate.

So if anyone knows a place I could get 3/4" HDF or a material with a similar density for a reasonable price I would be very greatful! I figure worst case scenario I will have to blow some extra money and get Corian, but would like to save some money and find the HDF.

Thanks!
    -Andrew
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

I have a cousin in Ft.Worth, and he suggests a place in Dallas called Wood World. I looked for their website, and am getting nothing but errors. Might be worth a phone call though.

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Uncle Cracker,

Might this be the place?

http://www.woodworldtx.com/
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Originally posted by crokett
        Uncle Cracker,

Might this be the place?

http://www.woodworldtx.com/
        Yep, that's it. For some reason, thier page comes up nothing but boxes and diamonds in Firefox, but I see it works fine in IE.

Still don't know if they got the HDF in stock though...

Comment

• avaserfi
          Forum Newbie
          • Oct 2007
          • Ames, IA

I just called Wood World. Unfourtunatly they don't carry any HDF, infact the guy I talked to said he has no idea where to get it as three other people have called in the recent past .

Anyone else have any ideas on what to use or where to get HDF?

Thanks guys
          -Andrew

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

HDF is high density Fiberboard, which is a term for Compressed wood fiber originally sold by Masonite.

"Hardboard (Hard Density Fiberboard - HDF)
            HDF is a high quality panel manufactured from specially engineered fibers that are compressed under heat and pressure. These panels are produced by a "wet" or "dry" process.

The "wet" process produces panels 1/8 or 1/4 inch thick that have one smooth side and a screen pattern on the backside, and are designated S1S. The "dry" manufacturing process produces a panel that is smooth on both sides, or S2S. Hardboard was first produced in 1924 by W. H. Mason, founder of Masonite Corp. The term Masonite is therefore often used to denote hardboard products, High Density Fiberboard (HDF) has a density that ranges between 50 and 80 pounds per cubic feet.

Standard hardboard has excellent machining and finishing properties suitable for numerous interior uses such as paneling, partitions, furniture, toys, packaging, flush doors, garage doors etc.

Tempered hardboard is impregnated with special oil that is polymerized by heat treatment. It is particularly suitable in applications where there is a need for extra water resistance, surface hardness, rigidity, bending and tensile strength. It is often used in construction siding."
            from http://www.keidel.com/design/select/...tl-eng.htm#HDF

Here's a Wikipedia ref:
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardboard

The pegboard you see sold in HD, etc is thin masonite.

So I'd suggest checking Masonite sources but they appear to have morphed into a company selling doors.

Wikipedia also says this:
            "Large-scale production of MDF began in the 1980s. Its name derives from the distinction in densities of fiberboard. MDF typically has a density of 600-800 kg/m³, in contrast to particle board (160-450 kg/m&#179 and to high-density fiberboard (500-1450 kg/m&#179. Similar manufacturing processes are used in making all types of fiberboard."
            so not all HDF is denser than MDF. So if you plan on the greatest density, then you must specify it when you buy!

I think you should make your speakers out of granite or Marble or welded steel plates.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-22-2007, 12:44 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• avaserfi
              Forum Newbie
              • Oct 2007
              • Ames, IA

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              so not all HDF is denser than MDF. So if you plan on the greatest density, then you must specify it when you buy!
              Whenever I call a store I always specify specific densities required

I think you should make your speakers out of granite or Marble or welded steel plates.
              Welded Aluminum would work well with proper bracing (although milled would be way better!), but I don't have the kind of money needed to do that.

Since it seems as if appropriate HDF will not be found (I have called around Masonite suppliers too) does anyone know another material with comparable density (80-100lbs per cubic foot) or a good place to get well priced Corian as that will work too.

Thanks!
              -Andrew

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by avaserfi
                Whenever I call a store I always specify specific densities required

Welded Aluminum would work well with proper bracing (although milled would be way better!), but I don't have the kind of money needed to do that.

Since it seems as if appropriate HDF will not be found (I have called around Masonite suppliers too) does anyone know another material with comparable density (80-100lbs per cubic foot) or a good place to get well priced Corian as that will work too.

Thanks!
                you might hang around and befriend (those guys like beer...) some kitchen cabinet/countertop makers... They use Corian by the yard and cutoff slabs that are too small to use for countertops might be big enough to use for speakers sides.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• avaserfi
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Oct 2007
                  • Ames, IA

you might hang around and befriend (those guys like beer...) some kitchen cabinet/countertop makers... They use Corian by the yard and cutoff slabs that are too small to use for countertops might be big enough to use for speakers sides.
                  I have been working on that . I recently contacted a couple companies for price quotes. Problem with my design is the smallest piece is 4" wide, but 30" long or 14"x18" so extras won't work .

Thanks for the help. I will be sure to keep beer on hand just incase.
                  -Andrew

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

If you have beer, you don't need Corian... Problem solved...

Comment

• avaserfi
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Oct 2007
                      • Ames, IA

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                      If you have beer, you don't need Corian... Problem solved...
                      but...but...but...Music and good beer go so well together .
                      -Andrew

Comment

• mburdette
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jul 2004
                        • Little Rock

I don't know if you're still monitoring this thread, but...

I design and build speakers.

I got a hold of HDF from a commerical shelving and cabinet installer. I actually got as much as I could haul, for free, twice, after posting a "wanted" ad on our local Freecycle. I see you've already contacted some countertop/cabinet guys. But you might try calling around to commercial/industrial shelving and cabinet companies. The pieces I got were all either close to 24" x 30", or around 11" x 8 feet (but were still 'scrap' for this company). I originally wanted the material for a 6 ft3 subwoofer cabinet containing an 18" professional sub driver, driven by 1000 watts. The cabinet was a tank. I've used the leftover (more than half of what I acquired) for various other projects around the house.

Also, I know some guys use a layer of concrete on the speaker cabinet panels to achieve the low/no resonance you're after.

Comment

• avaserfi
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Oct 2007
                          • Ames, IA

Originally posted by mburdette
                          I don't know if you're still monitoring this thread, but...

I design and build speakers.

I got a hold of HDF from a commerical shelving and cabinet installer. I actually got as much as I could haul, for free, twice, after posting a "wanted" ad on our local Freecycle. I see you've already contacted some countertop/cabinet guys. But you might try calling around to commercial/industrial shelving and cabinet companies. The pieces I got were all either close to 24" x 30", or around 11" x 8 feet (but were still 'scrap' for this company). I originally wanted the material for a 6 ft3 subwoofer cabinet containing an 18" professional sub driver, driven by 1000 watts. The cabinet was a tank. I've used the leftover (more than half of what I acquired) for various other projects around the house.

Also, I know some guys use a layer of concrete on the speaker cabinet panels to achieve the low/no resonance you're after.
                          Great idea . I will check it out.

I am actually trying to make this cab of "reasonable" weight (less than 300lbs each). Otherwise I would be making a solid concrete one or using a 3/4" HDF 1/4" steel laminate with steel bracing rather than aluminum, but concessions need be made so it is.

I will check out your ideas. Thanks.
                          -Andrew

Comment

Working...