• Show
Clear All
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by LarryG
    EDIT: Brian, addressing some more of your questions ... plastic laminate is the generic term for what many people call "Formica."
    And one forum member calls MICA!

You've probably heard of, and seen, something called melamine ... this is simply that same visible "skin" layer applied directly to a structural substrate such as particleboard or MDF, with the phenolic backing omitted.
    It has been my experience that even if this is true, which I doubt highly BTW, that there is a world of difference in the wear charcteristics between the two. I once used melamine, banded with solid red oak as my wide table extension/ router station with my saw. In less than 2 years time I had worn through the color at the corners. I've had my present sawstation that I used wilsonart laminate on and 3 years later and many more projects when comparred to the other one I see no wearing. It is possible that flatness has played a factor and it is also possible that the difference in texture has played a part. The old one was gloss and my new one is matte. It could also be that there is more than one grade of melamine and I used a low grade. It could also be that melamine has a thinner color layer than sheet laminates. I do not know.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by JR
      This might be a good time to point out that you have a valid opportunity to buy a new power tool! A laminate trimmer would make a perfect accessory for this project.

Clearly the Bosch Colt should be pictured here instead!

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
        Clearly the Bosch Colt should be pictured here instead!
        Sorry, I wize shopper. It was the first one that came up at Amazon! You've got pull there, can't you get 'em to change that?

JR
        JR

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by Black wallnut
          It has been my experience that even if this is true, which I doubt highly BTW, that there is a world of difference in the wear charcteristics between the two.
          It is true. I've talked directly to the people who make the stuff. Regardless of the laminate grade, or the substrate, the visible surface layer is identical. (Note that I'm talking here about the name brand laminates, used in high-quality manufactured commercial casework which typically has the finish layer applied directly to the substrate. That finish layer is the exact same thing as on the brand-name plastic laminate sheets used by millwork shops for custom work. There may well be cheaper brands/grades used on consumer products.)

The differences in wear characteristics are mainly due to the substrate material to which it is bonded, and how it is bonded. Melamine is fine for cabinet bodies, doors, etc. which don't get a lot of surface wear, but is ill-suited to something like a countertop.
          Last edited by LarryG; 10-12-2007, 07:49 AM.
          Larry

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by LarryG
            It is true. I've talked directly to the people who make the stuff. Regardless of the laminate grade, or the substrate, the visible surface layer is identical. (Note that I'm talking here about the name brand laminates, used in high-quality manufactured commercial casework which typically has the finish layer applied directly to the substrate. That finish layer is the exact same thing as on the brand-name plastic laminate sheets used by millwork shops for custom work. There may well be cheaper brands/grades used on consumer products.)

The differences in wear characteristics are mainly due to the substrate material to which it is bonded, and how it is bonded. Melamine is fine for cabinet bodies, doors, etc. which don't get a lot of surface wear, but is ill-suited to something like a countertop.
            I learn something new every day. Thanks Larry.
            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...