Clear All
  • BrianStark
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2007
    • San Diego, CA
    • Ryobi BT3100

Where to buy plastic laminate?

Hi,

Where does one go to buy plastic laminate?? I am interested in building a portable router table featured on plansnow.com, which calls for sandwiching two pieces of 3/4" plywood between plastic laminate.

At HD today, I saw they have some plastics (i.e., lexan) near the replacement glass section. Is that the type of laminate I would want? Are there stores that specialize in laminates??

I guess I'm fairly clueless about plastic laminates and would appreciate any advice...

Brian
  • Popeye
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Woodbine, Ga
    • Grizzly 1023SL

HD and Lowes both have laminate sheets. (Most) of the time they located around the countertops.
    You might want to check with outfits in your area that install countertops. They often just toss the sink cutouts when they do installations. Most likely just the right size for a portable router table.
    Another alternative is to check with HD and Lowes for damaged counter-tops. Cut the backsplash off and you'll have a nice router table top also.
    And of course check the Yellow pages, They sell the stuff in different grades and almost every color you can think of. I got a cull sheet from an outfit in Jacksonville to do my DIL's corner desk. Good luck, Pat
    Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Popeye is right-on with the sink cutout advice. In a town as large as SD, there are probably dozens of places building kitchens. On the other hand, there is also some sense in getting a full sheet at HD or Lowes, as you may want extra material to match in future projects (for the decorator in you), and often you can't find the same material twice. One tip I can offer for the Lowes/HD buyer is to look for a sheet with a corner knocked off, and ask the guy in the apron to cut you a deal. They will often let these sheets go for half price. Happy scrounging!

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Another source is millwork shops, of which there should be plenty in an area as large as San Diego. These will likely have enough left-over laminates from their various architectural jobs to build something the size of a router table. Call around, explain what you're needing, and you'll likely be able to score enough for not a lot of money.

BTW, this might be a good place to mention that cultivating a relationship with a millwork shop is a good idea for any hobbyist woodworker. Such shops can be a good source of top-quality wood and sheet goods, with much better selections and generally lower prices than the big box stores. In many cases the owner will have started out as a hobbyist himself, and will be sympathetic to the problems we have finding "good wood."

EDIT: Brian, addressing some more of your questions ... plastic laminate is the generic term for what many people call "Formica." The latter is actually a brand name, like Kleenex or Xerox. There are other brands, too: WilsonArt, Nevamar, etc.

Regardless of brand name, the material consists of a thin, colored/patterned finish "skin" bonded to a phenolic substrate. Laminates come in different grades and thicknesses, with the difference being the substrate; in all cases, the visible "skin" is exactly the same. You've probably heard of, and seen, something called melamine ... this is simply that same visible "skin" layer applied directly to a structural substrate such as particleboard or MDF, with the phenolic backing omitted.

For a router table, you want the normal kind of plastic laminate that comes in large sheets -- typically 4x8 and larger. Hence the suggestion to check with some millwork shops: they're likely to have some small pieces left over so you won't have to buy a full sheet. (OTOH, what Uncle and Jeff say about buying a full sheet, so you'll have some left over for future projects, is worth thinking about.)
        Last edited by LarryG; 10-11-2007, 07:31 AM.
        Larry

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

Laminate is probably going to be cheapest at Lowes or HD. As others mentioned, see if you can find a returned / clearance / close out and/or damaged piece marked down. You are using such a small section of the sheet that you can work around any damaged area. If you have to buy a regular sheet at full price I would suggest getting white. It's easy to match for future projects or repairs to table, it is easy to clean and it reflects precious shop light.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • York, PA, USA.

Oh, and I'll let others comment on this as well, but note that regular contact cement throws off some brutal fumes! Water based is much better. Only problem is that I had adhesion problems with water based. Followed directions to the letter and still had problems. Never had a problem with regular solvent based contact cement.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

I agree with you, Jeff. I had the same trouble when I tried water-based. Went back to the stinky stuff. I'd rather exhaust my shop air than use something that doesn't work as well.

Comment

• cgallery
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Milwaukee, WI
                • BT3K

And the water-based is more expensive. Costs more and works worse is a killer combination.

Comment

• Jim W
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Omaha, NE, USA.
                  • BT3100

I just bought some plastic laminate to be used on a table saw extension table, yesterday. I did not want a full sheet due to cost and storing the left overs. (I'll take my chances on proper shop decor.) I also wanted the matte finish as I felt wood would slide over it more easily. Home Depot and Lowes only had full sheets available (Lowes was cheaper). But I lucked out at Menards where they sell 30" x 48" sheets for $11.99.
                  Jim

(Old Army saying) "If you can't fix it...paint it."

Comment

• JR
                    The Full Monte
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Eugene, OR
                    • BT3000

This might be a good time to point out that you have a valid opportunity to buy a new power tool! A laminate trimmer would make a perfect accessory for this project.

JR

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Just to add to what has been said, that be aware of what material you are offered. Plastic laminate is generally available in two general thicknesses. For horizontal use, as in countertops it is close to 1/16" thick. For vertical applications it is close to 1/32" thick.

If you plan to find sources outside of the home centers, "millwork" shops usually don't do mica laminate work as a rule. They do woodwork. You may try cabinet shops, display fabricators, or kitchen cabinet fabricators. As for my shop, I didn't save the sink cutouts, they went to the trash. Can't save everything.

For adhesive, I only use the solvent based contact cement, and the warnings for "ventilation" should be taken seriously. You can purchase roller covers for a standard 9" paint roller that are designed to roll a very smooth coat of cement. They are constructed with a core that won't come apart because of the solvent in the cement. You can get them at HD.

As for finishes for the laminate the two most popular in most brands are a "textured" or also called "matte", and gloss. The textured finish IMO offers a surface that is more conducive to items sliding better than the gloss. The gloss is so slick that it creates more friction. I know that sounds crazy, but it's true. For color, white is a little hard on the eyes after a while. I prefer a beige, or light tan, or an almond/bone color, if you have a choice.

The impact resistance of the laminate really depends on the substrate it's applied to. MDF, or particle board offers more resistance than plywood. As for countertops around moisture, I would not use a composite board, but rather use plywood.

Comment

• mschrank
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2004
                        • Hood River, OR, USA.
                        • BT3000

I'll offer another suggestion: I'm sure San Diego probably has one or two businesses dealing in used or reclaimed building materials. We have such a place here in our little town that always has a few sheets of laminate...usually cutoffs from construction/remodel jobs. It's pretty easy to find pieces big enough for shop projects.

And I'll second the suggestion to go with white (or another light color). I find it's often helpful to make pencil marks on the fence/table for reference lines during a project, and a light color makes it easy to see the mark.
                        Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• mkel2000
                          Forum Newbie
                          • May 2004
                          • Lakeside, CA, USA.

Originally posted by BrianStark
                          Hi,

Where does one go to buy plastic laminate?? I am interested in building a portable router table featured on plansnow.com, which calls for sandwiching two pieces of 3/4" plywood between plastic laminate.

At HD today, I saw they have some plastics (i.e., lexan) near the replacement glass section. Is that the type of laminate I would want? Are there stores that specialize in laminates??

I guess I'm fairly clueless about plastic laminates and would appreciate any advice...

Brian
                          Brian,

I assume you're talking primarily about formica sheets. None of the HDs here in San Diego carry formica sheets any more that I have found. The only place I've actually seen it is Lowe's; it runs about $45 a sheet with limited colors stocked. They stock it near all the pre-fab cabinets. I usually look through what they have for an obviously damaged sheet and then ask them to discount it. I got a sheet that way recently with an 8" tear on one end. They sold it to me for $20. I'll use the torn part on the underside of the router table I plan to build and the rest of the sheet is good for stuff that will show. Lowes also has the water-based contact cement right near the laminate sheets and I can attest that it works perfectly with little fumes or smell. CalPly in Kearny Mesa also apparently carries formica sheets, but I haven't been there to look at it.

If you're looking for other plastics like lexan and plexiglass, then Ridout Plastics on Ruffin Rd. (Kearny Mesa) is what I'd suggest. They even have a cut-off bin right out front. I went in recently and got a 15" square piece from the bin that they just gave to me. I think the regular price is $2 a pound for bin items.

As for the re-claimed building materials suggestion, Habitat for Humanity has a re-sale store in Mission Valley. I've been in there a few times, but I've never seen the laminate sheets or other plastics for sale. It is worth going in just to see what they have occaissionally.

Mark

Comment

• BrianStark
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jan 2007
                            • San Diego, CA
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks for the advice!!

Thank you all for the advice and information! I will check out the local HD and Lowes since they are close by to see what they have on hand. Picking up a full sheet might be a very good idea as I've got some ideas for other projects as well. I have started scouting out some other local shops to see what they carry, but I haven't seen (or did not notice) any laminates.

Brian

Comment

• BrianStark
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Jan 2007
                              • San Diego, CA
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by mkel2000
                              CalPly in Kearny Mesa also apparently carries formica sheets, but I haven't been there to look at it.

If you're looking for other plastics like lexan and plexiglass, then Ridout Plastics on Ruffin Rd. (Kearny Mesa) is what I'd suggest. They even have a cut-off bin right out front. I went in recently and got a 15" square piece from the bin that they just gave to me. I think the regular price is $2 a pound for bin items.

As for the re-claimed building materials suggestion, Habitat for Humanity has a re-sale store in Mission Valley. I've been in there a few times, but I've never seen the laminate sheets or other plastics for sale. It is worth going in just to see what they have occaissionally.

Mark
                              Thanks for the local store recommendations. I'm in Rancho Bernardo, so the stores you mentioned are not too far away. I've heard about the Habitat for Humanity "ReStore" store, but have not had a chance to visit. From what I hear though, stock changes regularly, so it is the type of place that you need to visit often if you are looking for something you don't find the first time around.

Brian

Comment

Working...