X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1index only
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

finishing the floor?

So I rented a big 16" circular sander and proceeded to sand the floors in my childrens bedrooms when after about 15 minutes the paper tore off, and so the next piece went on and the same thing happened again,grrrr. Anyways the rental agency neglected to tell me that you had to wipe down the paper and get it damp to help it stick. Soooo anyways long story shorter I took the sander back got refunded on the paper and have a room unsanded, wait no this is what I did...

I took my electric sander/polisher (I'm professional bodyman) and put on the sanding pad with 36grit and for the next 3 hrs made my body ache more than it has in long time but I got the floor down to a pretty good finish I think, the million dollar question is this... I cant really feel any big scratches but is 36 grit fine enough? or should I hit it with something higher before I stain and poly?
  • Hellrazor
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Abyss, PA
    • Ridgid R4512

We screen gym floors with 100grit 20" discs before applying a new coat of poly..

Comment

• DUD
      Royal Jester
      • Dec 2002
      • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

I would definately go to a higher grit. You may not be able to feel the scratches but they are there.

I would rent one of the rectangle ones from Lowes or whoever rents them and would sand with 120 grit, then I use the same sander with a screen between coats. Bill
      5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • York, PA, USA.

Bound to have surface marks with 36g. When that poly hits the surface they are gonna pop.

I hear that Varathane sander that can be rented at the big box stores is awesome.

Comment

Working...