• Show
Clear All
  • vrbradley
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Raytown, Mo, USA.
    • Sears (BT3000)

A wifes idea?

I'm not sure if this is the place to bring this up, but here goes.
    My better half has the notion that I should convert her grandmothers old "singer" tredle sewing machine into a table to go on the deck. I don't know where to begin.
    Has anyone ever done anything like this......distraught looking for ideas.
    Vaughn \"Brad\" Bradley
    \"Eat an elephant one bite at a time\"
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

I had a friend who owned an antique mall. It was/is still common to still see the bases (metal part) on all kinds of table tops. I've seen them on everything from a simple 3/4" top, to one, that I think they replaced the top of the old wooden case, with a new board without any cutouts.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Similar to what LinuxR said above. I have even seen a couple of old sewing machines made that way here in Japan. AND, having said that, we have a tredle sewing machine base with a wood top as my bedside table. I made it many year ago and LOML decided where it would go.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I've seen those treadle bases with the treadle still operable but not connected as the base for some tables, looks OK, apparently quite popular, but seems like a waste to put it outside where it will deteriorate (rust). There must be a limited supply of those bases in good shape and they'll only get rarer as people put them outside?

It's just a stand, screw the base to the table top.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Kerf
          Established Member
          • Feb 2006

vrbradley
          Before you drill any holes, make sure is not one of those rare pieces, like the ones from the antic road show and is worth a Kazillion $$
          Nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that! -Rocky Balboa-

Comment

• Daryl
            • May 2004

If you plan on using the wood, it will deteroriate fairly quickly. A neighbor put one in his outbuilding after he got it at an auction, by the end of the summer it was delaminating and falling apart.
            Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• DonHo
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2004
              • Shawnee, OK, USA.
              • Craftsman 21829

I have a question. Is it a complete treadle machine or just a treadle machine base? We have an old treadle machine that has the wooden case refinished and it works fine as a table just as it is. I wouldn't dream of trashing the machine just so I could put a top(of any kind) on it. It would ruin the value of the machine AND my wife would kill me. If you have a complete/near complete machine, I'd try to fix any broken parts and refinish it, then use it as a table. Of course you have to factor in that we probably have more sewing machines in our house than we have tables SO I might be biased in that direction

DonHo
              Don

Comment

• TheRic
                • Jun 2004
                • West Central Ohio
                • bt3100

My mom got one cheap, got rid of the machine (it was junk), and mounted her Singer in it. Used it that way for about 20 years. Moved into a new home and took the old singer out and mounted it in an area she had designed for it. No clue what happened to the base.

Have seen several used as tables. Saw one the other day that had an old butchers block mounted on the top.

I agree with it rusting outside. You might need to clean it up, and repaint it to help keep the weather out, might last a little longer this way. But if your going to do all of this work, is it worth it? Not going to have much of the original left for sentimental value. $$$$ value will be gone.
                Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• eezlock
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Charlotte,N.C.
                  • BT3100

wife's idea?

Several years ago my dad took an old solid core door cut it down to about
                  a four ft. lenght and screwed it to a treadle sewing machine base and made my mother a sturdy work top for her sewing room. It worked well and is still
                  around. eezlock

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Independence, MO, USA.
                    • bt3100

If it is outside and exposed (not a covered porch, etc), the wood will probably hold up worse then the metal.

Just like any metal outside, (railings, etc), it will need to be painted fairly often. Rustoleum, POR15, etc.; use a good paint and proper prep, and you should be fine.
                    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• vrbradley
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Raytown, Mo, USA.
                      • Sears (BT3000)

thanks

Thanks for all the input and suggestions...you guys are good "we talked her out of it"...good job guys.
                      However..you did get me a project i think. Mom really liked the idea of converting the old maching into a work table for the sewing/craft room. Makes more sense to me too..
                      Vaughn \"Brad\" Bradley
                      \"Eat an elephant one bite at a time\"

Comment

Working...