• Show
Clear All
  • movnup
    Established Member
    • Aug 2006
    • Seattle
    • BT3000

Step Double Stringers - NEED HELP !!!

I am getting closer to the tail end of Phase I in my double decker deck project and all that's left is the upper level wrap around stairs, balisters / railings, low voltage lights, and maybe a built in deck bench. Where I need some big time help is trying to calculate the run length for stringers that come out on a 45 degree angle. As each step goes down the stringer run will be greater than the step above it but I am clueless of how to figure this out correctly. A secondary question is that the two deck boards butt up at 22 1/2 degrees on the the horizontal on top of this double stringer but I'm thinking that angle changes the farther out you go ???

I appologize about the small picture sizes, you can double click to get a larger view for clarity.

This first picture show the general deck layout in Phase I. Phase II (next summer) enlarges the deck off the back of the garage to the same depth in order to create an outdoor kitchen / fireplace. The finished product will tie the whole thing together across the back of the house as one continuous deck with these two sections I'm finishing up now ....

Click image for larger version

Name:	BackDoorPlan_P_2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	790747

This next picture is a side view ....

Name:	BackDoorPlan_P_3.jpg
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	790745

The last picture is the top view with the double stringer I'm trying to measure and cut correctly shown in a different color for clarity ...

Name:	BackDoorPlan_P_4.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	790746

A friend of mine used cardboard templates that took him about three hours to get cut out right ... it worked but I'm sure someone out there knows the right way to do this. Any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated !!!
  • Kristofor
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2004
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Some old horse caught another horse taking oats away! Thanks, Mrs. Stock!

If your normal run is 9.5" and I did my 15 year old trig right that should be

cos(22.5) = 9.5 / h

h = 10.283"

That's my guess at any rate.

Kristofor.

Comment

• Tequila
      • Aug 2004
      • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

If the double stringers are at a 22-1/2 degree angle (that looks like a 45degree angle there) then the run should be:

9.5in / cos(22.5deg) = 10.28in

But make sure somebody checks my math before you pull out the saw.
      -Joe

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

and the 22.5° angle does not change.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• movnup
          Established Member
          • Aug 2006
          • Seattle
          • BT3000

I'm not clear where it is supposed to be attached (eeks !!!) ... to the 45 degree header board / joist or should it be placed right on the corner (cut the back of each stingers b/4 nailing together at 22 1/2 degrees each) ???

Aslo doesn't the run change e.g get longer as you go down each step or does it remain a constant ??? I don't know why but I was best in the class in algebra, stats, and close to best in three semesters of college calc .... my mind does strange things on angles visualizing / calculating it out.

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

I would probably cut the straight run stringers and put the 45 degree double stringer in place temporarily and use a long level or other straight piece to transfer the notches to the 45 degree double stringer. I mess with trig and used to be pretty good at it but anymore if I have to chance to just measure in place I do it.

Jim

Comment

• scorrpio
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • Wayne, NJ, USA.

http://www.workbenchmagazine.com/main/wb295-deck01.html

If you can get your hands on June/August 2006 (#295/296) issues of Workbench, they have really detailed info on building that very kind of deck stairs.

Edit: actually, looks like full article is available at the link I provided - just click the 'ARTICLE: wraparound steps and skirt'
              Last edited by scorrpio; 06-06-2007, 08:55 AM.

Comment

• movnup
                Established Member
                • Aug 2006
                • Seattle
                • BT3000

Scorrpio ... you're a marriage saver, whoops I mean life saver. This is exactly what I was looking for !!! I never would have thought you would bevel the rise 22 1/2 degrees for where it attaches to the header joist and also on each stair step individual riser. It makes sense once you see the picture.

Many many thanks to everyone for responding .... I think armed with this info I have this "step" of the project on the run and with a little luck I'll be getting in wood shop time this summer yet. I've created a lot of sawdust with this project but it just isn't close to the same when it's pressure treated wood or Trex which is mixed with plastic.

Comment

Working...