• Show
Clear All
  • davehenry
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2005
    • Slidell, LA, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Picture Frame Construction

I need some our your expertise. Our daughter is getting married and I am going to make a picture frame to hold her wedding announcement. But instead of the traditional open back frame I want to cut a grove in the pieces. I can glue pieces 1, 2 and 3 and then slip in the glass/ announcement /wood backing assembly into the groove. Here comes the hard part. If I glue the 4th piece in, and the glass ever breaks, there is no way to replace it. I thought of magnets holding the last piece in but there has to be a better way.

Any of you got a suggestion?
    "I can't be unhinged -- I already installed them!"
  • Tequila
    • Aug 2004
    • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

Pocket screws. You can join it together from the back, and if the glass ever breaks, you can take it apart.
    -Joe

Comment

• davehenry
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2005
      • Slidell, LA, USA.
      • BT3100-1

In my haste I neglected to say that there will be 2 frames held together with hinges. It will be meant to set on a table. Would rather that no screws be showing.
      "I can't be unhinged -- I already installed them!"

Comment

• Tom Miller
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Twin Cities, MN
        • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by davehenry
        ...It will be meant to set on a table. Would rather that no screws be showing.
        In that case, maybe make the bottom removable, and put countersunk screws through the bottom into the sides?

Regards,
        Tom

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by davehenry
          I need some our your expertise. Our daughter is getting married and I am going to make a picture frame to hold her wedding announcement. But instead of the traditional open back frame I want to cut a grove in the pieces. I can glue pieces 1, 2 and 3 and then slip in the glass/ announcement /wood backing assembly into the groove. Here comes the hard part. If I glue the 4th piece in, and the glass ever breaks, there is no way to replace it. I thought of magnets holding the last piece in but there has to be a better way.

Any of you got a suggestion?
          small screws. Make the fourth side split front and back, split at the groove. Would only take a couple of screws to hold the back to the front, it would keep the glass in.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-02-2007, 03:59 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Garasaki
            • Sep 2006

What about dowels?

HOnestly thought, is the likelyhood of the glass breaking, but the frame staying intact, that great???
            -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
            -Henry Blake

Comment

• scorrpio
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • Wayne, NJ, USA.

How will the hinges attach? The screws holding hinges can also hold the glass/etc retaining piece in place.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                Veteran Member
                • May 2003
                • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                • BT3100

If you cheat and use Plexiglass, it won't ever break.

Bruce
                "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...