Hinge? Where to buy & what type for this project?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mzancz
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

Hinge? Where to buy & what type for this project?

Hello I recently finshed a small under the tv cabinet. I am ready to attach the doors but need to get some hinges. I went to hd and a ace hardware store but was unable to find anything. I believe I am looking for a european style hinge. I want the doors to be flush with the sides of the cabinet and for the hinge to be hidden. Where is a good place to find hinges, do any local retailors carrry them? Here are some pics of the cabinet. It is built from popular plywood, with solid popular for the doors

Last edited by mzancz; 04-02-2007, 02:23 PM.
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

considering that most cabinets use Euro hinges now, I'm surprised that Lowes or HD don't stock them.

Since you didn't say where you are, I can't say what's local. But Woodcraft and Rockler will definitely have them.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• mzancz
      Forum Newbie
      • Feb 2006

Sorry, I'm in northen NJ. I just posted some pics of the cabinet. I am going to give Lowes a shot this week. They ususally have a better supply of things compared to hd.

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

look up Blum, they are the most widely distributed/easy to find manuf. of euro hinges. there are different types depending on the type of door overlay so make sure to choose the correct type for your application.
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

You can try here for Blum hinges:
          http://www.specialtysupplies.com/blum-hinges-c-100.html

This may help in detrermining the overlay condition:

Comment

• RayintheUK
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2003
            • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
            • Ryobi BT3000

You need full overlay hinges for that project. This will hang the doors flush with the outsides, fully overlaying the front outside edges of the carcass (hence the name).

You will need a 35mm Forstner Bit to sink the hinges into the doors. Make sure that you have a depth stop on your drill! Check carefully for the correct distance of the hole center - it's usually something like 19mm from the hung edge. This means that the hole comes very close to the edge (designed that way), so needs careful drilling for accurate results.

Post any further questions you may have. Good luck!

Ray.
            Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• scorrpio
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Rockler, Lee Valley, Woodcraft, Grizzly - to name a few. Most of those places have detail pictures/scgematics of the hinges. The forstner you need is 1 3/8" - might already have it as seems most large-diameter sets include one.

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Just a few added details. The forstner bit could be either 35mm or 1 3/8", and most in the inch size will work. But, carefully check the pilot point on some forstners, that they are very short. I have some forstners that have long pilot points, which could penetrate the face if drilled too deep. It seems the ones I have bought specifically for drilling the boss (cup hole), the carbide flutes do an extremely nice job in making a clean, flat bottom hole, and have a very short pilot point.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

I think Lowes and HD have hinges in two places.
                  One with the cabinet hardware which is where you'll find these - all the fancy knobs and door handles and stuff.

They also have general purpose hinges with the general hardware for small boxes and non-cabinet grade stuff. Are you sure you looked in the right place?
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mzancz
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Feb 2006

I'll check again next time I go!

Comment

Working...