• Show
Clear All
  • offthemark
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Germantown, TN, USA.
    • BT3100

Finish for old trunk?

After 5 years of begging I finally managed to talk my father out of the trunk pictured below. It belonged to my great-great-grandfather and is (we think) about 90-100 years old. To the best of our knowledge, the paint is original and has just worn off with time. It was caked in mud so we've started cleaning it with Murphy's oil soap and warm water. Gentle brushes only.

My question is what to use for a finish. I don't want to take the paint off as that is part of the charm. My father recommended just coating in paste wax but I'm concerned it won't hold up well. Plus, when it's wet, the grain REALLY pops out and makes it look nice. I don't want to use anything too heavy that will take away from the current look. Thoughts?

Mark
    --------
    "There are no stupid questions - just stupid people"
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Originally posted by offthemark
    After 5 years of begging I finally managed to talk my father out of the trunk pictured below. It belonged to my great-great-grandfather and is (we think) about 90-100 years old. To the best of our knowledge, the paint is original and has just worn off with time. It was caked in mud so we've started cleaning it with Murphy's oil soap and warm water. Gentle brushes only.

My question is what to use for a finish. I don't want to take the paint off as that is part of the charm. My father recommended just coating in paste wax but I'm concerned it won't hold up well. Plus, when it's wet, the grain REALLY pops out and makes it look nice. I don't want to use anything too heavy that will take away from the current look. Thoughts?
    How about shellac? Or do you want a water-resistant finish, like oil poly or something?

Disclaimer: I really have no idea what I'm talking about--finishing is still a mystery to me.

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• scmhogg
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2003
      • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
      • BT3000

Mark,

Perhaps you should consult with an antiques restorer. You don't have to watch too many episodes of the Antiques Roadshow to know that refinishing antiques can destroy their value, both monetary and historic.

I use Renaissance Wax, a microcrystaline wax used by a lot of museums.

Steve
      I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by scmhogg
        Mark,

Perhaps you should consult with an antiques restorer. You don't have to watch too many episodes of the Antiques Roadshow to know that refinishing antiques can destroy their value, both monetary and historic.

Steve
        that's exactly what I was thinking
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...