• Show
Clear All
  • mikel
    Established Member
    • Jul 2006
    • philadelphia
    • bt 3100

kids projects

My kids love to help. Where can I find some simple ideas to let them make.

my kids are 8 and 10.

thanks...

...m
  • bthere
    Established Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Alpharetta, GA

How about some of the Scout sites. I've worked with Cub Scouts for a while and there are always advancement requirements that involve handyman or workshop activities. Some of the old standby activities include tool boxes, stools, birdhouses (butterfly houses, bat houses, etc.), pinewood derby cars, picnic tables and benches, bookcases, and others. Scale the project to the skill level and, of course, keep safety first.

I always have had a ton of fun when I had a group of kids and we worked on either a large group project, or individually on smaller projects.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

birdhouses, squirrel feeders, benches, boxes, stools
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ejs1097
        Established Member
        • Mar 2005
        • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

Those all work. Your kids are getting older and can probably use more tools. Last year I did birdhouses with 3-4 yo..Made so they glue and nail and some painting.

This year 4-5yo are doing toolboxes. More simple but they'll be doing sanding since they are too young for a saw.

You can decided what they are mature enough to handle for tools. (drill, hand saw, etc). Then find a project that you can work together. Let them do the safer tasks, and posibly watch you do the others (if you don't have to worry about flying debris).

Maybe they have an idea what they want to build. A shelf for thier room, display case for collection.

Have fun.
        Eric
        Be Kind Online

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • On the TARDIS
          • BT 3100

Look around the Canadian Home Workshop site. Look in the archives. There are projects that fall under the heading of Getting Started plus a few projects that a contributer has done with his daughters over the years.
          From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• mikel
            Established Member
            • Jul 2006
            • philadelphia
            • bt 3100

thanks, I'll start looking

...m

Comment