• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • buddyrough
    Established Member
    • Feb 2003
    • playa del rey, ca, USA.

Made Finishing Mistake - Need Suggestions

I have a 30" by 60" cocktail table I just refinished. The wood is very hard and heavy and after sanding the top clean, it has the look of teak. So, I sanded to 180 - 220, added conditioner and stained it. Looked good. After the stain dried I added 2 coats of Briwax as suggested by Woodworkers Journal. It looked good initially but after using it a couple of days the wax finish has smeared spots and it looks very amateurish. I have to do something else. I can remove the wax with naptha but what would you suggest using instead of wax? I'd like to avoid oil base poly because I don't want yellowing or water spots. Ideas? Many thanks,

Rod B.
  • big tim
    • Mar 2006
    • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
    • SawStop PCS

If it is teak, can't you just oil it. I've got a fair bit of teak on my boat.
    Teak oil is all I use!

Tim
    Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

I'm sure not much when it comes to finishing, but I have a question. It sounds like you have a reason not to use water based poly. Why? Just looking for info myself.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • York, PA, USA.

Another vote for Teak Oil here.

Comment

• scmhogg
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2003
          • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
          • BT3000

Rod,

Do you have a picture of the table top. Teak is kind of unusual for an indoor table top. If it is, in fact teak, a wash with acetone or naptha, followed by a quick drying barrier coat, is usually recommended. I like using Super Blonde, de-waxed shellac, as a barrier coat as it will accept most finishes I use.

http://bottrell.ca/Docs/Guidelines%2...0Teak%20v2.pdf

Most oil finishes won't give you the protection you need for a cocktail table. Ed is right that water based poly adds little or no color.

Steve
          I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• buddyrough
            Established Member
            • Feb 2003

Originally posted by scmhogg
            Rod,

Do you have a picture of the table top. Teak is kind of unusual for an indoor table top. If it is, in fact teak, a wash with acetone or naptha, followed by a quick drying barrier coat, is usually recommended. I like using Super Blonde, de-waxed shellac, as a barrier coat as it will accept most finishes I use.

Most oil finishes won't give you the protection you need for a cocktail table. Ed is right that water based poly adds little or no color.

Steve
            The concern I have with water based poly is there is oil based conditioner and stain under it. I presumed it would not adhere. Am I wrong?

Rod

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by scmhogg
              Rod,

Steve
              I have a three rooms of all teak or teak veneer furniture. Dining room, living room and study. All indoors too.
              Scandanavian/danish contemporary furniture makers like to use Teak.
              I use teak oil.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-27-2007, 06:45 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by buddyrough
                The concern I have with water based poly is there is oil based conditioner and stain under it. I presumed it would not adhere. Am I wrong?

Rod
                Good news. You are wrong. LOL!

You need to get the wax off prior to applying the poly. Naptha or MS will take it off.

Comment

• buddyrough
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2003

OK, but...

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
                  Good news. You are wrong. LOL!

You need to get the wax off prior to applying the poly. Naptha or MS will take it off.

I know I need to take the wax off. But there will still be oil based stain and conditioner. CAN I PUT WATER BASED POLY OVER THEM?

Thanks again, Rod

Comment

• movnup
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2006
                    • Seattle
                    • BT3000

There's a product that I use on my boat teak every year that strips it down to bare wood called Teak-A. It's a two part system as follows: 1) you wet the wood down w/ water 2) spray on "part a" and let is sit for a few minutes 3) lightly brush it w/ a nylon brush 4) apply "part b" and then rinse it off w/ water and let dry.

This was recomended to my by a guy who does high end yacht maintenance and I swear by it. Super simple, works great, and the only finish is teak oil that you hand wipe on. Two coats lasts half a year in salt water so the finish is pretty tough and looks great. You can find it at West Marine on the web or any higher end boat dealer.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2005
                      • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by buddyrough
                      I know I need to take the wax off. But there will still be oil based stain and conditioner. CAN I PUT WATER BASED POLY OVER THEM?

Thanks again, Rod
                      Correct. Make sure they are dry. There is no problem with water based poly over oil based finish. In fact the opposite, water based finish over water based stain, can be the real problem since the finish becomes a solvent for the stain.

Comment

• scmhogg
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                        • BT3000

Rod,

I got this from the MinWax site.

Minwax® Polycrylic® Protective Finish

A crystal clear, ultra fast-drying protective topcoat for use over bare wood, oil- and water-based stains, paint and wallpaper. It has very little odor, is non-flammable, cleans up easily with soap and water and can be recoated in only 2 hours.

Steve
                        I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• buddyrough
                          Established Member
                          • Feb 2003

I'll Try It

Jeff, Hogg and others,

Thanks for your replies and ideas. I will clean the wax off and give the water based poly a try.

Rod

Comment

Working...