• Show
Clear All
  • KLF
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2006
    • Barrington NH
    • BT3000 (of course)

Max router bit RPM

Per my other thread here, I am going to try my luck at making a pair of raised panel stile-and-rail doors. I ordered a set of bits from Holbren, I hope they arrive soon.

I had planned to use an old Makita 3612BR router in my table with these bits, making the pieces out of pine. But, I discovered this evening that this router has a speed spec rating of 23000 rpm, much higher than the rating of the Holbren bits of 16000 rpm. Am I out of luck with using this router with these bits?
  • scorrpio
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Wayne, NJ, USA.

If not variable speed, you can still make it so - I believe Rockler, MLCS, and many other places (Holbren likely included) sell the router speed control.

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

You shouldn't run the panel raising bit that fast. It'll be dangerous. A router speed control could fix it, or a new router. Keep the old one, of course. ;-)

http://www.newwoodworker.com/ref/rtrbtspds.html
      Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• Holbren
        • Oct 2004
        • Heathrow, FL.

The Rail & Stile bits around 14K RPM and the panel bit 10-12K RPM. Don't try to hog out too much material at one time. Make the panels in two passes and then a very small finishing cut to clean up the profile and get rid of any burning that may have occurred.
        Brian
        Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
        "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
        www.holbren.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

KLF, don't be tempted to run those bits full speed, if the bit comes apart at 23,000 RPM just imagine the missles of hot flying carbide...

HF also sells a router speed control pretty inexpensively. In addition to Rockler and www.mlcswoodworking.com. MLCS has free shipping.

I think its still hard to estimate RPMs when using a speed controller because the speed controller is not marked in RPMs natch because they don't know what you'll be using it with and its probably not linear.
          I'd say you'll be OK if you just estimate running it at about what feels to be half speed by sound and pitch. That's kind of what I do when running big bits slower.

Anyone know of a inexpensive RPM tachometer?
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• KLF
            Forum Newbie
            • Jun 2006
            • Barrington NH
            • BT3000 (of course)

OK, I will look into a speed controller. Darn, this project just keeps getting more expensive, I shoulda just hung up a curtain...

You guys toss out HF all the time as a place to buy stuff, we don't have any of them in New England, and they are RIDICULOUSLY slow on shipping, like 3 weeks.

We do have a Rockler store just down the street, but I have been unimpressed with the service. Went in there the other day to get a vacuum adapter for my new Bosch sander, they told me if it wasn't on the shelf, they couldn't get it. What's up with that?? I ended up ordering it from Fastenal.

But I see that Rocker does have a speed controller on sale now for only $30, not too bad. Certainly cheaper than a new VS router. So maybe I'll give them another chance.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

http://mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_.../speedcon.html
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• BrazosJake
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Benbrook, TX.
                • Emerson-built Craftsman

I used to run that same router with an HF speed control. Caught the speed control on sale for like $10, but definitely do not try to run those bits @24,000 rpm.

Comment

• drumpriest
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                  • Powermatic PM 2000

I have the vac adaptor for my bosch sander, btw, and Rockler can't get those. They are only able to get certain bosch items, that's what's up with that. I got mine from Home Depot, they and Lowe's can order most anything Bosch ships to the states. Apparently Rockler's on some sort of test period with Bosch tools, they need to show that they can move them enough to become a full Bosch dealer.
                  Keith Z. Leonard
                  Go Steelers!

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
                    • Nov 2004
                    • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
                    • Delta Contractor Saw

Klingspor has a pretty good selection. I got the adapter and hose for my Bosch ROS last week. Shipping isn't a bargain though.

Comment

• KLF
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jun 2006
                      • Barrington NH
                      • BT3000 (of course)

I ended up at Rockler today, one of the guys on the floor was very patient with me, explained a bunch of stuff about their jigs and other things, so I guess they are redeemed.

I ended up buying the speed control there, but I had to take a printout from the website with me to get the sale price. But I also bought some other things, gaad that is a dangerous store for me...

Then I went up to Fastenal and picked up my Bosch parts.

So far I've spent more time on prepping to build these darned doors, than I have on actually building them. Now I have to modify my old homemade router table and fence. Fortunately I like doing this stuff, sometimes it's all about the satisfaction of getting it done.

Comment

Working...