• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tarheel
    Established Member
    • Feb 2006
    • N. Carolina

Drilling T-Track?

I just picked up some of the 1/2" Rockler T-Track with assorted 5/16" bolts and jig knobs for $10.00 a kit. Great price!!!!

While making up some jigs, I found that I needed to drill extra mounting holes in the t-track - no problem! My issue comes when I try to countersink the holes drilled.

Is there a source for a countersink for aluminum? I tried Woodcraft that gave/sold me a countersink for a #6 screw that was the right size, but it dulled after about 6 holes! The countsink would have to be about 5/16" in order to effectively sink the screw heads to track level. I also tried a 3/8" countsink that cut ok, but with the run-out of my drillpress, left nicks in the track - ugly!!!

Bottom line. What do you guys to drill and countersink holes in T-track for yer jigs????

Any help at all would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Wayne
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Your first approach was good, but your countersink bit was not. Get a better bit -- if it's HSS, it should hold up to aluminum just fine.

I drill, and countersink that t-track all the time. I know what you mean about dinging the sides, too!

Regards,
    Tom

Comment

• Tarheel
      Established Member
      • Feb 2006
      • N. Carolina

Originally posted by Tom Miller
      Your first approach was good, but your countersink bit was not. Get a better bit -- if it's HSS, it should hold up to aluminum just fine.

I drill, and countersink that t-track all the time. I know what you mean about dinging the sides, too!

Regards,
      Tom
      So I am curious, Tom. Where do you get the HSS countersink bits from? The Woodcraft bits are really no good to me. (I think that the bit needs to be about 5/16" for a #6 machine screw.)

Thanks,

Wayne

Comment

• lcm1947
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Austin, Texas
        • BT 3100-1

I had the same Rockler t-track and the same thing happened to me although I used a #8. I had already noted to use a #6 the next time. My countersink bit held up though. Got mine at either Lowe's or HD. Can't remember which but I know it was one of them. You might try getting one from them. I got a 4 pack that had #6 thur #12 bits in it. But can't remember the manufacturer. Sorry.
        May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Now guys there are two kinds of bits they call countersink bits.

One is really what I'd call screw pilot drills, they drill a stepped hole with a small hole at the bottom for the threads, a bigger dia hole in the middle for the unthreaded shank and an chamfered countersink at the top.
          Like this:

I would not use this set on aluminum.

The other is a true countersink bit which just drills the chamfered hole, generally concentrically on top of a hole already drilled.
          Like these:

(Both illustrations courtesy of Lee Valley)

Something like the second Lee Valley set will drill nicely in aluminum.
          or the Vermont American ones below:
          http://www.vermontamerican.com/Produ...191018&I=70897

BTW, 82° is the standard chamfer for flat head screws. sometimes there are 90° chamfer countersinks, but I would not use those.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• lrr
            Established Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Fort Collins, Colorado
            • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by Tarheel
            I just picked up some of the 1/2" Rockler T-Track with assorted 5/16" bolts and jig knobs for $10.00 a kit. Great price!!!!
            [...]
            My issue comes when I try to countersink the holes drilled.

Is there a source for a countersink for aluminum?
            [...]

Thanks,

Wayne
            Wayne,

Check these out. Single cutting edge, so no chatter. It is a lot of money to spend for an occasional need, but maybe they sell just one (I didn't thoroughly check).

But, you might check other sources for metal working tools and find something similar... I'd say just Google "metalworking countersink" or other phrase.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g5728
            Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by lrr
              Wayne,

Check these out. Single cutting edge, so no chatter. It is a lot of money to spend for an occasional need, but maybe they sell just one (I didn't thoroughly check).

But, you might check other sources for metal working tools and find something similar... I'd say just Google "metalworking countersink" or other phrase.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g5728
              Those are 90 degree countersinks, not 82 degrees.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                Veteran Member
                • May 2005
                • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                • sears BT3 clone

The countersinks you guys are talking about are called "O-flute" countersinks. I prefer single flute countersinks. especially in aluminum I like to countersink first then drill the hole. it sounds backwards but you will get more accurate hole/countersink alignment that way. single flute c-sinks will let you do it that way.
                mcmaster carr, jlindustrial, mscdirect, enco are all places to look for machinist supplies.
                Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

I have a Mibro set from Lowe's that I have used in aluminum.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• LarryG
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2004
                    • Off The Back
                    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Here's the perfect bit for this job.

I bought this three-piece set from Lee Valley specifically for drilling and countersinking T-track, in one operation. They work beautifully. The shanks are small enough to reach down into the track without buggering up the flanges at the top.
                    Last edited by LarryG; 01-11-2007, 08:24 AM.
                    Larry

Comment

• Dan Tipton
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jun 2006
                      • Grafton, NY

Of course, you could always carefully use a large drill bit of the same size to countersink the holes in the aluminum -- no special tools required....

Comment

• jarhead
                        • May 2004
                        • Boynton Beach, FL.

Originally posted by Dan Tipton
                        Of course, you could always carefully use a large drill bit of the same size to countersink the holes in the aluminum -- no special tools required....
                        Dan,
                        That is exactly what I did last week - worked great.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Dan Tipton
                          I've done that, too, in a pinch, but the angle is even worse than using the 90° countersink bit instead of a 82° bit. Twist bits have included angles of 118°. The flat head countersink is supposed to be 82°.

May seem like a small detail but all the force of the screw will be concentrated on a small ring at the bottom rather than the entire underside of the head.
                          depending upon the exact geometry the bottom of the hole will be distorted, perhaps allowing the rail to rise up some and the top will have a gap showing.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Tarheel
                            Established Member
                            • Feb 2006
                            • N. Carolina

Originally posted by LarryG
                            I bought this three-piece set from Lee Valley specifically for drilling and countersinking T-track, in one operation. They work beautifully. The shanks are small enough to reach down into the track without buggering up the flanges at the top.
                            That set looks like just the ticket, Larry! I just ordered a set from Lee Valley and it appears that they will definately work ok. The only concern I would have is them holding a good cutting edge for awhile.

Thanks so much to everyone with all their suggestions. (I really didn't think finding an 82 degree countersink would be this much trouble! )

Thanks again!

Wayne

Comment

• lcm1947
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 2004
                              • Austin, Texas
                              • BT 3100-1

Yes, thanks LarryG I'll be ordering a set myself. Excellent!
                              May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

Working...