• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wwday3
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2004
    • Eagle, ID, USA.

Jig question

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this. I tried searching for and answer, but I'm not really sure what search tems I should use.

I do a lot of rustic furniture, so much of the stock I use is not straight (like log slabs and such). One thing I've always had a bit if difficulty with is getting straight cuts - especially rip cuts - out of a board/slab that does not start out with stright edges. I've tried attaching a straight "rail" to the bottom of the board and using that to guide the board, but that is so time consuming to set up, I've since abandoned it (impatient) and just do it "freehand". That, of course, has it's limitations.

Another area that's very difficult is ripping stock that is round. Seems like I do OK for awhile, then inevitably the round stock "rolls", and I end up with a spiral circus cut.

What I'm wondering is if anyone knows of a jig (or jigs) that could help me. I have a couple ideas, but I'd like to see if any of the smart folk on this board might provide some ingenious solutions.

Thanks in advance.
    Two wrongs do not make a right, but three rights do make a left.
  • JTimmons
    • Feb 2005
    • Denver, CO.
    • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

As far as ripping a straight edge on a board, I made one of these and it works great. Saves time for me at the jointer.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/sto...ref=cat5420002
    "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
    -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Try something like this bandsaw mill jig (from Harbor freight)
      http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92247

Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• wwday3
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2004
        • Eagle, ID, USA.

Looks good

Originally posted by JTimmons
        As far as ripping a straight edge on a board, I made one of these and it works great. Saves time for me at the jointer.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/sto...ref=cat5420002
        This is very similar to what I've been contemplating. The only different is I envisioned some kind of slot so the clamps could be adjusted for length. I like their idea of the spaced holes much better. I also like their version of the hold-downs better than what I was thinking.

Thanks!

Comment

• wwday3
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2004
          • Eagle, ID, USA.

Cool

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          Try something like this bandsaw mill jig (from Harbor freight)
          http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92247

Hey, that's pretty cool. Do you have one?

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by wwday3
            Hey, that's pretty cool. Do you have one?
            No, I want one but I don't have a big enough bandsaw and I don't encounter that many logs. I think someone else carries them, too - I thought it was Rockler but didn't see them in their on-line catalog after a brief search. They actually come in two sizes. You have to put 2 short screws into the log from the vertical wall side and adjust the wall with the knob on the right each cut to slice the log... or simply cut the log in half then use conventional resawing with the flat of the log against the fence.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gonesailing
              Forum Newbie
              • Apr 2005
              • Manzano, New Mexico, USA.

Cutting a straight edge

Have not tried cutting round stock, for for ripping flat stock I use a cutting board and my circular saw. The cutting board is just a piece of 1/4 inch plywood with a piece of 1/2 inch MDF screwed to it a bit more that the distance from the saw blade to the edge of the saw sole. First time you use it, the plywood gets cut so that you can tell exactly where the blade will cut. I left a couple of inches of plywood on the other side of the mdf so that I can clamp the cutting board down to the wood to be cut.

I have one that is 8 foot long, another that is 4 foot long. Mostly I use them to cut sheet goods, but works well on rough cut edges as well.

Mike L

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Morning Loring...

That's a pretty clever idea. My first thought was I can make it with a piece of phonelic runner and and a veneer press clamp. My second thought after seeing the price is when you consider the cost of the clamp and phoneclic runner coupled with down time on actual projects.. cheaper to but it! :>)

If anyone has feed-back on it.. I would consider one but would prefer to know just how well made "it is" or "it isn't" before-hand.

Thanks for the site to view it Loring...

Regards...

Comment

• niki
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Poland
                  • EB PK255

Hi WWday3

If I would try to explain what I mean, you would end-up making Router table.

So, I went to the garage and made a small mock-up.

I did not put any dimensions, make them according to your requirements.

If something is not clear enough, please ask.

If anyone has some suggestions for improvements or other, please go ahead.

niki

Comment

• niki
                    • Nov 2006
                    • Poland
                    • EB PK255

Comment

• wwday3
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Eagle, ID, USA.

Wow Niki

That's pretty brilliant. A table "vise". I like it.

Comment

• Ed62
                        The Full Monte
                        • Oct 2006
                        • NW Indiana
                        • BT3K

Niki, you've done it again! What can I say? Brilliant!!

Ed
                        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• sacherjj
                          Not Your Average Joe
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

While in a friend's shop, discussion got to table saw fences. I heard and idea that was "duh" simple, for getting a clean edge on curved stock. This guy just uses a 10 or 12' long piece of steel, clamped to the fence. This allows the piece of wood to ride on the two edges while a straight cut is made. This will only work up to 8' of so, but it is a very simple idea.
                          Joe Sacher

Comment

Working...