• Show
Clear All
  • niki
    • Nov 2006
    • Poland
    • EB PK255

Cutting narrow strips on TS

Good day

I had to cut a few strips of ¼” so I made this simple set-up.

This set-up gives me:
    *Safety – fingers far from the blade.
    *I don’t have to move the fence after every cut (very consistent strip thickness).
    *I can cut strips from strips, I mean, I can cut 5/8” strip into two ¼” strips (1/8” blade).

I used 6” wide board but you can use any width, just make it round number so it will be easy to add the numbers to set the fence distance.

I strongly recommend the use of splitter or riving knife.

After every cut, I stop the saw and when the blade stops, I pull the jig back or, push it to clear the blade, go to the other side and bring it back to the starting point. I prefer to waste a few seconds than a few fingers.

I think that the same set-up will work also for se-sawing but I did not try it yet.

I believe that you will think about some improvements, and you will tell us all.

Regards
    niki

Last edited by niki; 10-01-2007, 01:39 PM.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

good idea.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

That feather roller is a great idea. Another project added to my box of fun stuff for next year when the work on the house slows down. LOML and I have an agreement that after 2 yrs of working on the house I get next year to do whatever I want.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• lcm1947
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Austin, Texas
        • BT 3100-1

Great idea and pretty darn creative Niki. I'll stow that idea away for the time I need to make some strips. Very cool! I do have a question however that really doesn't have anything to do with the topic but just have to ask it. What is that white thing that's between the fence and the jig? Is it part of the fence and if it is - why and what purpose does it serve? Thanks.
        May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• Stan
          • Mar 2004
          • Kalispell, MT, USA.
          • BT3100, Delta 36-717

niki,
          Nice jig and setup. I like the 'pressure roller' concept.

Here is another jig setup taken from a magazine a bit over a year ago.

Only reason that I added this image is to show a setup that allows cutting unlimited length splines. The Jig is attached to the fence with the ability to slide 'forward' along the fence at the end of the cut. (It is a cleat and holder arrangement just under the fence clamps.)

The handle is on a hinge which allows the stock to pass under the handle and stop-block until the end of the stock passes just under it, then the hinge allows the handle/stop-block to drop down flat on the table-top. The entire jig is then moved forward to complete the cut.

The riser on the outfeed side now has a section of Rockler T-track installed to hold a featherboard to keep the stock down firmly against the table. Additional featherboards ahead of the blade keep stock up against the jig.

I have cut 8' long 3/16" splines using this jig for use as picture frame inlay stock.
          From the NW corner of Montana.
          http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• oakchas
            Established Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Jefferson City, TN, USA
            • BT3000

Niki!

I love that pressure roller idea! both the hod down and hold in! Great Idea!

I'm currnetly working on a sled for LONG stock that allows you to use hold ins BEFORE AND AFTER the blade (because you are hoding the sled against the fence, not the work (SO NO Pinching)). Also useable as a poor man's "jointability" off the saw.

Thanks for sharing the roller Idea, it's novel and great!

Comment

• niki
              • Nov 2006
              • Poland
              • EB PK255

Thank you all for the kind replies

David
              We bought a “naked” house in Poland (walls ready to paint, concrete floor, no internal doors, kitchen bath or toilets), it took me 2 years to finish it. Never done it before but it was nice experience. But don’t “wary”, you never finish the work on a house…

Icm 1947
              The white thing is one of my home made fences, when I made the hold down roller I re-enforced it.

Stan
              Cabinetman tolled me about this jig (it’s on the web) but it was too much work to build it, I like it fast, simple and minimum parts and hardware. BTW, very nice corner cabinet.

Oakchas
              …and you will not forget to show us…

Thanks again
              niki

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2006
                • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                • BT3100

strip jig

niki: that is amazing. i just cut a bunch of 1/8" strips but i did it the hard way and kept of moving the fence over. i am going to try that out once i complete my project.

stan: i cant seem to see how your jig works when its clamped to the fence. how does it slide forward at the end? can you post more pictures?

thanks

Comment

• Stan
                  • Mar 2004
                  • Kalispell, MT, USA.
                  • BT3100, Delta 36-717

omar,
                  Hopefully this will make it a bit easier to see how the slide works.

There are two widths of 3/4" ply glued together that clamp to the fence. On the base of the jig, there is a cleat that runs between the fence and the piece of aluminum screwed onto the doubled ply on the fence.

Comment

• niki
                    • Nov 2006
                    • Poland
                    • EB PK255

Stan and Omar

I found it here

He is also using the BT3

niki

Comment

• Stan
                      • Mar 2004
                      • Kalispell, MT, USA.
                      • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Originally posted by niki
                      Stan and Omar

I found it here

He is also using the BT3

niki
                      Yep, that's the one. He must have submitted it to a magazine at some point.

Thanks for that link (it goes in the database ).

Comment

Working...