• Show
Clear All
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Originally posted by gjat
    I like to use the term 'fisically efficient', not cheap.
    I've built a good bit of furniture out of pine over the years because it is cheap and relatively easy to work with.
    Busted, you just used the cheap word! Better put some money in the tool kitty.
    Originally posted by gjat
    I equate it to building cars. If you can build a Yugo in your garage for $500 and drive it for 2 years, why kick yourself you can't build a Mercedes for $25,000 and drive it for 6 years when you are going to put the same miles on each year? I swear I could build like Norm if I had $200,000 worth of tools in my Shop and could spend $800 on lumber for a bed.
    On the car, you'll get better mileage with the Yugo, and if you build it, make it a station (lumber) wagon, hence a Wego.
    As for Norm, you DON'T need to spend $200,000 on a shop, just make friends with a rich tv producer, like he did. LOL
    I am STILL waiting for the day that pictures of Norm's shop surfaces, to see what he actually owns/uses.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• thesleeper
      Forum Newbie
      • Dec 2003
      • menominee, MI, USA.

i make furniture from pine quite frequently. it is cheap and looks ok
      frank
      Attached Files

Comment

• lcm1947
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Austin, Texas
        • BT 3100-1

Frank I think that's somewhat of an understatement. Those are beautiful. I had no idea that pine was used so much and extremely impressed with the outcome from what I've seen here. Thanks for the pictures - everybody. So looks like I'll be doing a lot of stuff from pine. I really really like the bright and cheerful appearance it creates.
        May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

"Anybody ever use pine for furiture? "

I think that is where the term Furniture Grade Pine comes from. LOL!

Comment

• gjat
            • Nov 2005
            • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
            • BT3100

Originally posted by thesleeper
            i make furniture from pine quite frequently. it is cheap and looks ok
            frank
            I stand corrected. You can make a mercedes for $500. I wanna become a pine tree and die in your shop. I'm in awe.

Comment

• WoodButcher26
              Established Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Dayton, OH

Did not intend to try and talk anyone out of using itwith my earlier post, just wanted to make all aware of some of the unique qualities of the stuff. I enjoy working with it, just have to use some special precautions--like trying to overcome my natural klutziness and tendencies for sloppy work habits.

I agree, the pictures that are posted in this thread show some top quality work, and I would be interested to hear about some of the experiences the builders have that distinguishes pine from other woods. For instance, do mortise and tenon joints need to be a little deeper to compensate for the relative strength of the wood? What are your suggested finishing methods? How far do you sand it (to what grit)?

Kim
              Measure it with a micrometer...
              Mark it with a crayon...
              Cut it with a chain saw!

Wood Butcher

Comment

Working...