X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeff_1064
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2006

bandsaw project help....

I have an old delta / rockwell 14" bandsaw (28-290). I am trying to cut a circle about 14" in DIA in oak that is about 4" thick (Base of a floor lamp). I have a new 1/2" blade on it and have it tensioned to about 3/8" defelection. I am using a circle cutting jig...my problem is the blade keeps bending or deflecting in the wood as I am rotating it causing the blade to leave the guide bearings and fall off the wheels. Is my tension spring bad / old? Any thoughts?

On a different note...my machines are all delta / rockwell and are older than me by about 10 to 15 years (I am 26 ). The joys of being a high school shop teacher...
  • Popeye
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Woodbine, Ga
    • Grizzly 1023SL

My first guess would be tension, second would be adjustment on the jig. I snapped a blade because the jig had slipped to the point that rather than the center point being aligned to the front edge of the blade it was actually past the teeth. Was one of those forehead slappers. Or.... could be both. I'm sure others with more experience than I will chime in. Pat
    Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Thom2
      Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
      • Jan 2003
      • Stevens, PA, USA.
      • Craftsman 22124

My initial thoughts if I'm understanding everything correctly ....

If you're using a circle cutting jig, the centerline of your circle most likely lines up with the leading edge of your blade. This is fine with a narrower blade, but a 1/2" blade would bind in the kerf as you feed the stock. (The kerf actually curves and catches the back edge of the blade, twisting it out of the guides) My first choice would be to back off to a 1/4" blade, but I think (dangerous word there) you could also make do by shifting your pivot pin so the centerline of your stock is closer to the center of the blade.

HTH
      If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
      **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• jeff_1064
        Forum Newbie
        • Mar 2006

I forgot to mention the second try was a 1/4" blade...

I think it is a tension problem.

BTW a 1/2" blade can cut a 2 1/2" radius. At least thats what "The woodworkers wall chart"

Thanks for the info.....

Comment

• Thom2
          • Jan 2003
          • Stevens, PA, USA.
          • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by jeff_1064
          BTW a 1/2" blade can cut a 2 1/2" radius. At least thats what "The woodworkers wall chart"
          I wouldn't put much money on that ..... I've had 3/8" blades that wouldn't cut a 14" Radius ..... very frustrating.

If you can make that same cut freehand without the jig, I'd have to say your tension is fine. I'm still pretty well sold on the idea that setup on the jig is out of whack.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

I may be dangerous, too,
            but certainly 2.5" circle with a 1/2" blade would be tight.
            I think a 1/4" blade would be where I start.
            The leading edge of the blade must be at the radial line from the pivot, or, the blade will be headed out of town (sorry, Thom) and twist for sure.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-03-2006, 10:50 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Thom2
              • Jan 2003
              • Stevens, PA, USA.
              • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              The leading edge of the blade must be at the radial line from the pivot, or, the blade will be headed out of town (sorry, Thom) and twist for sure.
              No apology necessary, the more I thought about it, the more I realized it probably won't work.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                • One of them there Toy saws

causing the blade to leave the guide bearings and fall off the wheels..
                Which direction is it going to leave the guides?

The angle of the top wheel may not be set correctly to keep the blade tracking under this force, but I'm still trying to figure out which way the blade is going.
                Mike
                Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• jeff_1064
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Mar 2006

update...

I made a new jig...using a 1/4" blade I still can not make the cut. The blade will move forward on the wheel (leaving the thrust bearing...moving toward the operator). While this is happening the blade slightly cups (think cupping of a board) and leaves the bearing guide and causes the blade to fall off the wheels.

I am sure it is tension issues. the bearings are set so there is about dollar bill thickness between the blade and each bearing both on the upper guide and lower guide. Also I am raising the guide to the max height in order to make the cuts.

jeff

Comment

• JR
                    The Full Monte
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Eugene, OR
                    • BT3000

Also I am raising the guide to the max height in order to make the cuts.
                    Do you mean the upper blade guides are not positioned immediately above the workpiece? They are positioned at maximum height? If so, that would be a problem.

JR
                    JR

Comment

• Tom Miller
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2003
                      • Twin Cities, MN
                      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Have you checked the drift of your blade/setup? That is, as you're making a straight cut freehand (i.e. no rip fence), is the natural feed direction parallel to the bandsaw table's right edge?

The line between your circle-cutting jig's pivot pin, and the blade edge needs to be perpendicular to this feed direction line, not necessarily your bandsaw table edge.

Regards,
                      Tom

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

...Also I am raising the guide to the max height in order to make the cuts.

jeff
                        I think that's serious problem. The upper guide should always be positioned right above the work. Like much less than 1/2 an inch.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• DJehlik
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Apr 2006
                          • Walnut Creek, CA
                          • Ryobi BT3100-1

Jeff,
                          Do you have a good sized lathe that would handle a chunk that size? I'd be tempted to rough it out on the BS with several tangential cuts, then turn it round on the lathe.

Your machines are old enough to have real iron in them.

Dave, former HS teacher
                          Last edited by DJehlik; 11-03-2006, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• cabinetman
                            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                            • Jun 2006
                            • So. Florida
                            • Delta

I would go along with the 1/4" blade, and get a coarse blade like 4tpi or 6tpi. Using a 4tpi will keep you from pushing the stock. It doesn take much stress to get out of whack.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• jeff_1064
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Mar 2006

The guide has to be at max. height in order to make the cut. There is about 1/8" between the stock and the guide. I am going to replace the tension spring ($2.99 from delta + $7.00 SH ).

My machines ARE pure iron....

Jeff

Comment

Working...