• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Spray Contact Cement

I have seen products used on a couple of the DIY shows but they don't show the brands. 3M makes several (77, 80, and 90) that they say are high tac. The only one I have found that is put out as a contact cement is WA 700A, made by Wilsonart, but I can't find it in any local stores. Anyone seen this stuff on the shelf?
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

did you try an art supply store?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Established Member
      • Jan 2004
      • League City, Tx, USA.
      • BT3100

Hobby Lobby has a pretty good selection when looking for things like this, it's where I got my can.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Don

Spray grade contact cement is not really an off the shelf item in retail stores, for many reasons. I have never bought it from any place other than "industrial supply" type distributors. I have sprayed brush grade solvent based in a cup thinned with lacquer thinner, with good results. Just make sure you clean gun as soon as you're done. If you have to have spray grade, you might try upholstery suppliers, or any cabinet shop suppliers, that sell mica.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Spray adhesives can be found in most art supply and craft stores. I haven't used this stuff in years, preferring 3M PMA (sheet Positionable Mounting Adhesive). As I recall, spraying on one surface provides a good tack that is fairly easy to move, and for a stiffer contact we would spray it on both surfaces, let it dry somewhat and then "contact".

As I recall, this stuff wasn't very good for the lungs and proper ventilation and protection was an absolute must! Hopefully today's formulations are better.

I hope this helps,

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...