What do you do with the BT metal base....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna
    • Feb 2006
    • CA, USA.
    • BT3100

What do you do with the BT metal base....

after you've moved your BT3100 to a new mobile base? I'm sort of done with my mobile base (have to build the drawers but it's otherwise usable) and I have the base that came with the saw to get rid of. I also have the practically useless casters that came with the accessory kit. I still can't see using this thing for anything else in the shop, though. Do you just throw it out?
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Well, I have a BT3000 base (the non-splayed-leg kind) sitting in my garage waiting for the same epiphany you're looking for.

But, I also have a splayed-leg stand that I got with my planer (IIRC), to which I attached a 2' x 4' piece of ply to make a utility table. It's sitting in a covered utility porch area, getting used for any number of things including as a potting bench in the Spring.

Can't have too many horizontal surfaces....

Regards,
    Tom

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

That base might come in handy for some other tool, such as a planer, drill press, sander, etc.

As fare as the casters are concerned, I've still got mine and have no idea what to do with them. They're pretty nice castes, but...

JR
      JR

Comment

• Bulkley
        Forum Newbie
        • Oct 2005
        • British Columbia, Canada.

I built a router table on my old saw base. Don't throw away old stands; you can always find another use for them.

Comment

• bmyers
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2003
          • Fishkill, NY
          • bt 3100

Bill
          "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• Anna
            • Feb 2006
            • CA, USA.
            • BT3100

Much as I like BMyers idea, I think I'll take the stand apart and store it in the garage with all of the other "I might need these someday" stuff. My workshop is really small, and I have to customize every workstation to optimize the space. The BT stand is not very efficient with respect to the space it occupies, hence the new mobile base. For now, I can't imagine using it inside the workshop, but maybe when we move and I get a bigger shed or something.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I probably would have just chucked it if I didn't post it here first and read your opinions. The environmentalists send you their love.

Anna

Comment

• Stan
              • Mar 2004
              • Kalispell, MT, USA.
              • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Anna,
              I added a Hercu-Lift and a double layer 3/4" plywood top to my base, makes a great movable base for the benchtop jointer, planer and grinder.
              From the NW corner of Montana.
              http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• final_t
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Anna
                after you've moved your BT3100 to a new mobile base? I'm sort of done with my mobile base (have to build the drawers but it's otherwise usable) and I have the base that came with the saw to get rid of. I also have the practically useless casters that came with the accessory kit. I still can't see using this thing for anything else in the shop, though. Do you just throw it out?
                Going to be selling mine, along with all the other bits and bobs I don't need any more. Just need to get it together and put a list up.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

I think the base would great for a planer.
                  The casters are normal casters which work fine when not misapplied sideways from heck on the BT3100 base. Buy a pair of swivel casters the same size and they will make a fine movable/portable platform when you need one.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JSUPreston
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Montgomery, AL.
                    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I'm using the base that came with my BT3100-1 for the saw. However, I took the base off the old Crapsman before I gave it away, put a piece of ply on it, and mounted my Bosch/Craftsman router table on it. Works great, and it is a great height. I also have my 10" drill press on a stand from HF, and the Ryobi disc/belt sander has its own dedicated HF stand as well. Look around, and you'll find a tool that you can put on it.

BTW: for my planer, I got the bottom half of a rolling tool chest from Sears and just set it on top. Now, the planer is moveable, and I have more storage space. Everyone is a winner, except my wallet.
                    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Bollox
                      Established Member
                      • Nov 2003
                      • Indianapolis, IN, USA.

Originally posted by Stan
                      Anna,
                      I added a Hercu-Lift and a double layer 3/4" plywood top to my base, makes a great movable base for the benchtop jointer, planer and grinder.

Exactly what he said - I have my planer on it and I love it.
                      Mike

Comment

• Anna
                        • Feb 2006
                        • CA, USA.
                        • BT3100

I really wish I have enough space in my shop to use this base as is, but it's way too big and I could use the space under it more efficiently. I'm planning to build my miter saw workstation next, then a planer platform that can scoot under it. I haven't figured out what to do with the jointer, but I think I'll probably put the band saw on a Herc-u-lift if I can pick one up this weekend. I have to get everything in my shop except the bench and the lathe on mobile bases because of the limited space.

But I can see it being useful as an extra workstation when I'm working outside. For now, since I'll be busy with more shop stuff, I'll probably just take it apart and store it.

Thanks for all the ideas. I really appreciate it.

Comment

• JSUPreston
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Montgomery, AL.
                          • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Anna, you would do yourself a favor by getting the current Workbench magazine. Their big cover story is building a workbench/miter saw stand using kitchen cabinets and MDF. I'm seriously considering ripping out my current setup and doing this one when I have the money (and time). The plans also include a cull bin, miter saw fences AND a mobile cart that stores a planer.
                          "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Comment

• Anna
                            • Feb 2006
                            • CA, USA.
                            • BT3100

Originally posted by JSUPreston
                            Anna, you would do yourself a favor by getting the current Workbench magazine. Their big cover story is building a workbench/miter saw stand using kitchen cabinets and MDF. I'm seriously considering ripping out my current setup and doing this one when I have the money (and time). The plans also include a cull bin, miter saw fences AND a mobile cart that stores a planer.
                            I do have that issue somewhere in my pile of reading stuff. Thanks for reminding me. It's hard to believe that the shop footprint is only 50 square feet.

I've also been wondering about just buying the kitchen cabinets pre-made from big box stores. I thought about building them myself as more practice (before the "real" projects in the house), but it's tempting to just get it over with and buy some cabinets from HD. The flip-top planer base is also interesting. It might even work with a bench grinder installed opposite the planer. I just have a queasy feeling about having these tools hanging upside down, though, so I don't know if I'm comfortable with the idea.

Comment

• JSUPreston
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2005
                              • Montgomery, AL.

Buddy of mine from church does kitchen and bathroom remodeling. I've got him keeping an eye out for a set for me. I don't mind if they're a little dinged up, as long as they are fuctional. You may want to check with a cabinet installer in your area to see if they have any old ones. Then again, HD or Lowe's may work a deal on a scratch and dent set as well.

Comment

Working...