• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zootroy
    Established Member
    • Oct 2005
    • Coeur D\'Alene, Idaho.

What type of Joinery?

Any ideas on the type of joinery that may have been used to make this case? In particular, I'm wondering how the sides are attached to the bottom. It doesn't seem like any type of mortise/tenon would be strong enough since the sides a 3/4".

I can imagine biscuits or dowels, but i'm not sure that they would provide enough strength.

What do you guys think?

TIA
    Jason
    Attached Files
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

WARNING: I have no idea what I'm talking about.

The piece looks like maybe of 60's vintage, which would suggest dowels to me.

Or maybe it's pocket-holed on the bottom.

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

I do not know how it is built but I know how I would build it. It looks like a good application of biscuits. It would be plenty strong enough. You could also use screws and plug the heads. I would only do that if I didn't have clamps enough to just use the biscuits or did not have a biscuit jointer. If you make the plugs for the screw holes out of material that matches pretty well they do not look too bad but it definitely is not in a "fine furniture" mode.

I made interior raised panel doors for our last house our of planned down construction lumber for the frame, shelving boards raised on the table saw for the panels, and biscuit joints at the intersections of the frame. They held up fine. I have also used them on case work without difficulty. I have also used them for apron to leg joints on a table. They have always held well. I now use more mortise and tenon joints (I got a dedicated mortiser) but I never had a problem with the strength of biscuits.

Jim

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I don't know the vintage or whether it's all wood or particle board and veneer. can't see all the details form the side. Could have some of those fasteners you find in the knockdown furniture from Ikea or someplace similar. usually you need mass production equipment to make those effective.

But if I were making it, dowels or biscuits would be plenty strong enough.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• drumpriest
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
          • Powermatic PM 2000

One thing to note that confused me about your comment. Mortise and Tenon is stronger than dowels or biscuits. Of the 3, M&T is widely considered the superior joinery.

I would agree with the guys though, probably either dowels or screws.
          Keith Z. Leonard
          Go Steelers!

Comment

• zootroy
            Established Member
            • Oct 2005
            • Coeur D\'Alene, Idaho.

The image is of the Anders nightstand from Room and Board

http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/coll...107&dept=RB191

This is made from solid cherry.

The M&T, biscuit, dowel was a misprint/misthought. The real concern with M&T was that the tenon would have to be narrow without much depth. In this case, I would think that there would be more hassle than biscuits, without a significant strength gain. Any opinions?

Biscuits was my first thought, but I wanted to check with the experts before I jump into this.

I am making the entire bedroom set out of walnut. I just finished the bed and am very pleased with it. Now for something with drawers!

Any more ideas?

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Jason

You can't really tell from the picture. It looks like there is an add on edge on the leading edge which may disguise what the end really does. If you could look at the bottom, and see that the ends are a full 3/4" past the floor (exposed), then you would know that the connection is either biscuits or a spline. Dread the thought it was just a butt fit and clamped. If the bottom reveals a 1/2" edge from the end, then it may be a rabbet. But for $599.00 no matter what they used it better not come apart.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• Russianwolf
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                • One of them there Toy saws

I will say this. given that it is production work, and given that the top appears to be attached to the sides directly, my guess would be biscuits or dowels.

The best way would be dovetails. The method I would use if I were building it would be a sliding dovetail.
                Mike
                Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

Also remember that if you mount the back into a rabbet like you should, it will add a lot of strength to the joints. You can go fancier if you want (dovetails or sliding dovetails (but watch out for assembly of wide sliding dovetails with yellow glue (it wants to grab)) if you want but I would be completely comfortable with biscuits. I have some old furniture I made 20+ years ago when I was starting out that is just but joints glued together and screwed (with the screw holes plugged). I has survived nicely including 4 moves. Biscuits are more elegant and stronger, I am sure they are plenty strong enough for nightstands (one of my cruder pieces is a cabinet over seven feet high, 4 feet wide, and two feet deep).

I would dovetail the drawer, however. Once you get a jig and get it set up, it takes very little time and adds a nice touch of class. It is also overkill for strength, however. Glue and brads will hold up OK.

Jim

Comment

• atgcpaul
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Maryland
                    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by zootroy
                    Any ideas on the type of joinery that may have been used to make this case? In particular, I'm wondering how the sides are attached to the bottom. It doesn't seem like any type of mortise/tenon would be strong enough since the sides a 3/4".

I can imagine biscuits or dowels, but i'm not sure that they would provide enough strength.

What do you guys think?

TIA
                    Jason
                    It's probably biscuits or dowels. However, the catalog said it was inspired
                    by George Nakashima. Having seen a few Nakashima gallery pieces, he would
                    use through dovetails on the 4 corners.

Paul

Comment

Working...