• Show
Clear All
  • Wood_workur
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Ohio
    • Ryobi bt3100-1

Ice box plans?

1. Are the plans from Rockler for their icebox any good? I've heard that most of their jointery is just butt joints, and I don't want to have to mod the plans.

2. Also, are there and free plans for an icebox? I couldn't find any after 1 hour of searching.

3. And what wood are iceboxs traditionally made of, and what does that wood that wraps around the bottom traditionally look like.

4. And, could somebody please post Norm's finishing recipie for the hall mirrior/cubbyhole/coat rack thingie? (I forgot to set the vcr, had to wach it live!!!!)

Thanks for your help.
    Alex
  • jziegler
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Salem, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

Alex,

I don't know about their ice box plan, but I'd be carfeul with their plans. This fall, I ordered their curio cabinet plan, and it has been nothing but trouble. Following their directions, you have to do things like cut a 1/4" by 1/4" dado in the 3/4" edge of 8" long pieces. I found out the hard way (kickback) that such an opeartion is difficult and not very safe. I started on the project in November, it was supposed to be a Christmas gift for my mother in law, it still isn't finished because I got so frustrated with it. If it's any indication of the general quality of Rockler plans, you should stay very far away. Look in the various magazines first.

Sorry that this doesn't answer any of your questions, but I'd rather other people not get stuck on it if their other plans are of similar quality.

Jim

Comment

• Eric
      • Jun 2003
      • Cocolalla, ID
      • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

There used to be a plan on the ryobi site for an ice box. Actually, I think there was 2 of them.

I did have a copy saved to my hd, but i've since lost it.

Someone might still have a copy that they could send you.

Comment

• gmack5
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

Here ya go!

Here's a set of plans that I found on the web (Hope they work!)

We sell woodworking plans, projects with full instructions and specialty hardware and kits for some of our woodworking plans. We also sell vintage and recycled plans and patterns.
        Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
        Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
        George

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

The wood used is normally white oak. Qtr sawn would make a beautiful box.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• Wood_workur
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2005
            • Ohio
            • Ryobi bt3100-1

George- thanks- those plans are what I'm looking for, but the are fairly different from the rockler one, but I like the rockler one better (the curves are nicer), so I think I might have to take a HUGE risk, and buy the rockler plans.

Pappy- thanks, thats what I though, but I wasn't sure.

edit: George, the wife likes your plans better.
            Last edited by Wood_workur; 07-12-2006, 04:55 PM.
            Alex

Comment

• Ken Weaver
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Clemson, SC, USA
              • Rigid TS3650

I've got a PDF of the icebox from the old Ryobi site. Email me and I'll send it your way. It may not be what you want but you can use the general layout and come up with your own design.

EDIT - Just found the second Ryobi plan - the difference looks like a one-door and two-door layout. You can have them both.
              Last edited by Ken Weaver; 07-11-2006, 05:57 AM.
              Ken Weaver
              Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• RonT
                Forum Newbie
                • Jun 2006
                • Florida
                • Old Craftsman

Originally posted by gmack5
                Here's a set of plans that I found on the web (Hope they work!)

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/c...ngs/icebox.zip
                This is a poor set of drawings. Aside from AL dimensions, the details stink. It would be difficult to build from these.

Comment

• Wood_workur
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2005
                  • Ohio
                  • Ryobi bt3100-1

Thanks from all you help. between the autocad drawing geogre found, and the two icebox plans ken e-mailed me, I will come up with something great.
                  Alex

Comment

• Jonathannb
                    Handtools only
                    • Oct 2020

Wood_workurKen Weaver I know it’s been years and you may not check this site anymore but I wanted to see if either of you could email me a copy of the pdf for ice box plans. Hopefully you get this. Thank you!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Jonathannb
                      Wood_workurKen Weaver I know it’s been years and you may not check this site anymore but I wanted to see if either of you could email me a copy of the pdf for ice box plans. Hopefully you get this. Thank you!
                      Ken weaver has not logged on since 2016 according to his profile. You might send him a PM which will go to his registered email and he might get it.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...