• Show
Clear All
  • PJC
    Established Member
    • Jul 2004
    • NJ, USA.
    • BT3100

which bit to use

I am at the point of assembling my HUL and need to drill holes for the brackets in my BT3 base. What type of drill bit should I use? Is there anything special I should know about drilling into the base?

Pete
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by PJC
    I am at the point of assembling my HUL and need to drill holes for the brackets in my BT3 base. What type of drill bit should I use? Is there anything special I should know about drilling into the base?

Pete
    The legs of the base are steel.
    You will need a normal twist bit, no wood bits (auger brad points out).
    Bits of HSS are better than carbon steel.

It will help you a lot to do the following:
    use a centerpunch to make a good dimple where you want to drill. Normal twist bits have tendency to walk when starting on metals.

Start with a smaller drill than the final size and enlarge by increasing drill bit sizes.

I find it easier to drill steel piece on a drill press where you can "bear down" on it rather than pushing from the side witha handheld drill, this sort of depends whether you want to disassemble the base or not.

You need a good sharp bit. You will need some cutting fluid - usually a medium weight oil will do, apply to the point of drilling. Lubricates and cools.

Try not to overheat the bit - if you see smoke you are dilling to o hard and are destroying the bit.
    If you see nice clean shavings coming off then you are cutting real well. Bad cutting is when the bit spins and no cutting come off or small chips are coming off. Use the correct speed for the bit size (there are references to speed charts all over htis forum) and adjust pressure to get the cuts i described above.

When the bit breaks through the other side it will want to grab.
    Really badly. On a drill press you must secure the piece and have it braced against the post. (post to the right of the piece). In the case of a hand held drill, well, that why I suggest a drill press. Be prepared if you use a hand held drill. It can be really bad with a DP, too if you don't clamp and brace it like I suggested, the bit will grab it and spin it around and if you are in the way you will be cut and bruised by the piece.

For your personal safety, A coutersink bit should be used to clean up the sharp burrs left over, just chamfer the edges ever so slightly.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gmack5
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

Originally posted by PJC
      Pete
      I checked the "FAQ" in the Getting Started Forum and found no reference to an Achrnym called "HUL". Would you define your term, please.
      Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
      Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
      George

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Herculift, I presumed.
        Does that make me a mind reader?

Well, OK,
        He was asking about it the other day.
        And it fit the context.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• PJC
          Established Member
          • Jul 2004
          • NJ, USA.
          • BT3100

Loring is right....Herc-U-Lift (HUL)

Thanks for the info Loring!!!! It will be a HUGE help!

Comment

Working...