X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ezland00
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

Anyone makes their own push stickes?

Anyone here makes their own push stickes? I am new to wood working, i don't want to cut my fingers
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by ezland00
    Anyone here makes their own push stickes? I am new to wood working, i don't want to cut my fingers
    Sure it's really easy.
    Just take a 1x2 about 12 inches long. Cut a right-angle V-notch in the end across the narrow direction about 30-60 degrees to the 2" edge.
    If you want to get real fancy, put a hole in the opposite end to hang it by and use a roundover router bit to smooth out the handle for comfort.
    Never have to worry about nicking this with the blade, you can make it in ten minutes.

I also use a home-made push shoe when doing certain cuts (like where I wnat to really hold a small workpiece down and make very narrow cuts betwen the blade and rip fence (no guard) while using the rip fence.
    I take a 6" piece of 2x4,
    Cut 1/4" off the end, shift the end down 1/4" along the 4" dimension and glue it in place to make a little lip.
    Now to use it, place the 2" edge on top of the workpiece with the 6" dimension parallel to and over the blade and the lip hanging over the back end of the work piece. when you feed this the blade will of course be above the workpiece maybe 1/4" if you set it right and it will score the bottom of the push shoe - mine has a bunch of cuts in it. Hold the top half of the push shoe and this will keep the blade in the wood and below your fingers.
    This is another ten-minute job to make one of these. You can nail or screw the lip piece on instead of gluing, just make sure the hardware will be well above the saw blade path.

I also use this one (bought from Sears for less than $15) a lot:
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00932190000
    it has angles and inches most of which I never use, you could duplicate the basic shap and function of this without the bells and whistles in short order with a piece of plywood.

Good luck!
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-29-2006, 10:41 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

Mine are patterned after one recommended by the the late Tage Freid (my spelling is always suspect). It is in one of the older Fine Woodworking books. They are kind of triangular with a handle on the top and a notch on the bottom. I have them in 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 thickness. I trace a new one on a piece of scrap every time the old one gets chewed up.

Jim

Comment

• ejs1097
        Established Member
        • Mar 2005
        • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

I made these 4 and use them all the time. Now unless the fence is FAR away from the blade I don't feel safe using my hands. I drilled the holes so they hanG off the tables saw stand hooks on the right for easy access. Most table saw books have patterns for making push sticks. I made these from a book at the local library from 1/2" ply and rounded over the edges (except at the bottom).

Make a few sets so you have some for the router table and if one gets chewed up, you always have a replacement.

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9.....10 yep all still here, the push sticks must work
        Attached Files
        Last edited by ejs1097; 05-01-2006, 07:57 AM.
        Eric
        Be Kind Online

Comment

Working...