• Show
Clear All
  • gimpy
    Established Member
    • Nov 2004
    • Flagstaff, AZ.
    • BT3100

help with gluing a "too large gap"

I have cut out a 7 inch square hole, thru and thru, in a 3/4 inch piece of mdf. I have a 7 inch square column that I wish to sit in this cut out and then glue it in. I wanted it to be snug and tight. But, I made the cut-out a hair too big. The cut-out has about a 3/32 inch gap on one side which makes the column loose in it. Therefore, I am afraid that it is too big of a gap to get a good glue set. Any recommendations as to how to maybe tighten/snug this gap up a little so it will get a better hold and also maybe look a little better,also?

I want this to be a permanent glue up. I do not want the column to be removable.

thx, Frank
    Frank, "Still the one"
  • bebop
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • Chantilly, VA
    • bt3100 of course :)

gorilla glue

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Shim it with a slice of MDF
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• just4funsies
        • Dec 2005
        • Florida.
        • BT3000

Second the motion for gorilla glue. It will expand as it cures. Try to make the gap even side to side, so the largest gap isn't too big. Follow the directions for the glue (it is water-activated). Shimming will also work, but probably won't look great without an opaque finish. Frankly, the glue won't look great, either, but may be the lesser of the evils.
        ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

second this one!

Originally posted by Pappy
          Shim it with a slice of MDF
          I think this is the better way to go. If the gap is an even 3/32", then it will
          be pretty easy to do. Don't rip the sliver off completely because it will probably
          get sucked down. Rather let part of it dangle, turn off the saw, then crosscut
          the sliver off.

The gorilla glue will expand but won't provide much of any hold.

Comment

• scmhogg
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2003
            • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
            • BT3000

Frank,

I disagree with the use of Gorilla Glue. While it does expand, the expanded glue has little strength. With the leverage of a column it would be easy to develop a wiggle or a wobble.

Epoxy is one of the few adhesives that dries hard and fills gaps with strength. Any glue will work if you use shims as pappy said.

I try to turn my screw-ups into a design enhancement. Cover the gap and glue and shims with small 1/4 round or small cove moulding. Fill the gap with a dark wood or dark epoxy to make an enhanced shadow line.

Can you tell I make a lot of mistakes??

Steve
            I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by atgcpaul
              I think this is the better way to go. If the gap is an even 3/32", then it will
              be pretty easy to do. Don't rip the sliver off completely because it will probably
              get sucked down. Rather let part of it dangle, turn off the saw, then crosscut
              the sliver off.

The gorilla glue will expand but won't provide much of any hold.
              Yup! Yup! Yup! (won't take just yup for an answer so i say it thrice.)
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gimpy
                Established Member
                • Nov 2004
                • Flagstaff, AZ.
                • BT3100

I just threw out some old gorilla glue day before yesterday (it had started swelling the bottle). So, I did buy a small bottle of it today. I will also check to see if I can put a shim in it.

Steve, I don't understand when you said, "Cover the gap and glue and shims with small 1/4 round or small cove moulding. Fill the gap with a dark wood or dark epoxy to make an enhanced shadow line". Could you further explain it for me, please? Sorry, I am so dense--long day, been up since about 4:30.

thx for the suggestions. Frank
                Frank, "Still the one"

Comment

• scorrpio
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Steve probably gave two completely different suggestions in one sentence there. Should be 'either use moulding to cover it all up or fill with dark epoxy to create a shadowline.

I suggest shimming it. Do not count on gorilla glue expansion - in my experience, the foam formed by the glue is very brittle, and it is usually the squeezeout that foams up - probably for easier cleanup. If you get 'expansion' between the parts, you can be sure the joint will fail. Epoxy is the glue to use if you want it to fill a gap.

Comment

• tmaceroli
                    Established Member
                    • Mar 2004
                    • Forked River, New Jersey, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3100

A recent issue of Wood magazine had an article on gap-filling glues. It was in the past couple of months, so the issue is probably still readily available on the shelves of your local library.

Unless you find a glue specifically for that purpose, then none of the usual wood glues, Gorilla Glue included, are going to provide any kind of joint strength. Wood glues require wood-to-wood contact to bond correctly.
                    Tony

"Nothing would be done at all if a man waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault with it."
                    - Cardinal Newman

Comment

• gimpy
                      Established Member
                      • Nov 2004
                      • Flagstaff, AZ.
                      • BT3100

Well, I did both. Shimmed it, then glued it using gorilla glue. Doesn't look too bad. Will have to wait until I can throw some paint on it, then will see what it looks like.
                      thx, Frank
                      Frank, "Still the one"

Comment

Working...