X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smorris
    • Apr 2003
    • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Best way to do square cutouts

I have a sheet of starboard, a high density plastic, that I need to do a series of square cutouts (1 1/8 x 6/8) in for mounting switches in the center of the sheet (3 x 27 in). How best to proceed?

At this point I made a template with turbocad. My current thinking is to use spray adhesive (tested and it sticks fine) to mount the template on the piece and use a coping saw to do the cutouts. I may grow old and die doing 17 holes... Anyone have a better idea?
    --
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice
  • WayneJ
    • Jan 2004
    • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

Drill a hole in the starboard and use a jig saw with a fine tooth blade.Support the plastic on a piece of wood with a hole in it to clear the blade.
    Wayne
    Wayne J

Comment

• Greg.B
      Established Member
      • Feb 2006
      • Joppa, Maryland
      • Ryobi BT3100

Using the template you have start with a pilot hole and use a jig saw to cut. I would clamp a guide to the edge so that the jigsaw can run along it. It might take some time but it will be clean and even.
      Former Member Name - JohnnyTest

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Use a router either with a template guide or a top bearing template bit.

First make a template - I find the easiest way is to make it with butt-jointed 1x4 material, with at least one extra long member to be able to clamp it outside the router base area.

If using the bearing bit make the template the same size, if using the template guide bushing make it oversize in each dimension by the difference in bit dia and bushing O.D.

Clamp the template over the work, securing with at least two clamps. The need to be over 3" from the opening to allow room for the router base as I mentioned before.

You can either plunge into the material or pre-drill a hole bigger than the bit. Follow the template you should go clockwise around the opening. Make two or three passes moving the router quickly taking small bites rather than trying to cut carefully in a single pass - the bearing or guide will keep make the cut clean and smooth no matter how many passes you make.

You may wish to raise the work off the bench with supports so the router won't eat your table.

After you are done you may wish to square off the hole corners with a file, nibbler tool, hacksaw or other cutters.

Don't forget to make a couple of test runs in scrap material.

P.S. one last suggestion, use the smallest dia. bit so as to minimize the material you have to square off in the corners. A 1/4" spiral upcut or downcut bit with a 1/2" dia templat guide bushing would be good for the size hole you are talking about.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-19-2006, 12:35 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• smorris
          • Apr 2003
          • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Thanks, boy that was quick. I do have a template bit for the router so that may ce an easy way to go. Thanks again. Now to go fire up the workshop.
          --

Comment

• RayintheUK
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2003
            • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            Follow the template you should go counter-clockwise around the opening.
            Clockwise when routing around the inside of a template.

Ray.
            Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by RayintheUK
              Clockwise when routing around the inside of a template.

Ray.
              You're right, of course. when i was writing it i thought about it twice and pictured it with a table mounted router for some reason...

Corrected the original post.

I'm glad SOMEONE is reading them.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• smorris
                • Apr 2003
                • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Well, the template is cut. Took a couple ideas and got the job done. I put the paper template on a piece of plywood, drilled a half inch hole in the center of each and used my bandsaw to nibble out the openings, I cut in from the opposing side on as I did each hole. It ended up a little floppy and I glued on some material on the edges to stiffen it up. I did end up with one opening in the center that hit the upright at both ends no matter how I swung it around so I used a straight bit on the router table to cut that one out.

Any reason not to do it on the router table as my bearing is on the end of the bit? I'll just drill a hole in the starboard for it to come up through. I prefer to use that if there isn't some compelling reason not to, like safety.
                Last edited by smorris; 03-19-2006, 04:05 PM.
                --

Comment

• jdschulteis
                  Established Member
                  • Mar 2003
                  • Muskego, Wisconsin, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by smorris
                  [. . .]
                  Any reason not to do it on the router table as my bearing is on the end of the bit? I'll just drill a hole in the starboard for it to come up through. I prefer to use that if there isn't some compelling reason not to, like safety.
                  I say go ahead and do it on the table. See the posts by Ray and Loring about feed direction, though. On the table, travel counter-clockwise around the inside of the template.
                  Jerry

Comment

• jarhead
                    • May 2004
                    • Boynton Beach, FL.

Since we are on the subject of feed direction, I don't recall where I read this, but I find this a great method of helping to figure out the correct router feed direction. You form a backwards capital letter "L" with your right hand using your thumb and an index finger. Point the thumb at the fence or the surface the router will ride against. You router in the direction that your index finger is pointing to.

Comment

• scorrpio
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Wayne, NJ, USA.

I take it you don't have a mortising attachment on your DP?

Comment

• LarryG
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2004
                        • Off The Back
                        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by jarhead
                        Since we are on the subject of feed direction, I don't recall where I read this, but I find this a great method of helping to figure out the correct router feed direction. You form a backwards capital letter "L" with your right hand using your thumb and an index finger. Point the thumb at the fence or the surface the router will ride against. You router in the direction that your index finger is pointing to.
                        Yep ... an excellent way to remember this.

But wait, there's more! Turn your hand upside down and the same trick will now work for a table-mounted router.

IOW, whether your router is right-side-up or upside-down, your hand is held exactly the same way, matching the router's orientation.
                        Larry

Comment

Working...