• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • distilledred
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2006
    • Granada Hills, CA, USA.

Burn baby burn

I am a hold down clamp away from finishing my cross-cut sled and decided to take a few test cuts to see how accurate I set my blade and how my miter cuts would line up. In doing so I got a massive amount of burn in some sections, so much so that all you see is black for a bit. I am cutting a piece of redwood with the blade tilted at 45 degrees. I am using a thin kerf Freud cross-cut blade and would like some advice on how to avoid this. I know you can route too slow, can you cross-cut too slow? It seemed I had less burn when I sped up a bit. Also, it looks like all the burn came from the "back" of the blade; from where the rear of the blade spun past the wood. Is this a sign that my piece is shifting? or does it have something to do with the way the blade spins? I also notice what seems to be a large amount of build up on teeth of the balde... understandable or no?

Also, this piece has a significant bow in it that I did not notice earlier. At what point does a bow make a piece of wood unmanagable for a given task? If when crown up, I have a 1/16" clearenace under the peak, to get this board flat again does that translate to having to take 1/16" off both sides, thus losing 1/8" in my board depth? This would leave me with a 1/2" thick plank, that I would be hesitant to put a 1/4" dado in (never mind I don't currently have a jointer or planer).

Here are some pics taken with a camera phone (only thing available):
    Pic1
    Pic2
    Pic3
    Pic4

Thanks for any advice.
    -Aaron

\"Tis through no fault of Magus that Lavos lives.\"
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

The stock appears to be cupped, not bowed, althouogh it may be both. The cupping shouldn't cause the burning on a cross cut but could cause problems in ripping. Bowing would by causing uneven pressure on the blade.

I think I see a glue line in the pics and the burning is all on the same piece. Redwood, like cedar is often not dried good and that piece may be wetter than the other one.

Too slow a feed rate would be a factor, too.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

If your crosscut sled pushes the wood into the back of the blade after it is already cut by the front of the blade, it can cause burning like you are experiencing. The wood needs to move in line with the cut to avoid this - could it be moving at a slight angle?

Jim

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by JimD
        If your crosscut sled pushes the wood into the back of the blade after it is already cut by the front of the blade, it can cause burning like you are experiencing. The wood needs to move in line with the cut to avoid this - could it be moving at a slight angle?

Jim
        That's the most likely scenario, I'm guessing that the sled is not moving parallel to the blade.

IF you have a BT3 and IF you used the table top edges this will cause the problem, because the BT3 is not guaranteed to have the blade running parallel to the edges of the table top. All alignment is done with the bladde to the SMT and Fence irregardless of the table top.

Lots of burnpics but no pic of how you constructed your sled.

The issue of nonparallel sides is addressed frequently and also in the FAQ.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-21-2006, 02:57 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• boblon
          • Aug 2003
          • Florida, USA.

When I was setting up my sled to miter the corners of boxes I had difficulty getting the edges perfectly square to the sides.

I believe this was caused by using a thin kerf blade and the blade flexing some as the stock went through.

I don't know if this could be a contributing factor, but I mention it because it might be possible that this blade movement in combination with the cup in the board might cause issues.

Just a thought.

BobL.
          "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

• distilledred
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2006

Thank you for all the help thus far.

I didn't know there was a difference between bow and cup, good to know, and should make for clearer posts in the future =)

My sled does ride the side of the table. I was aware that the blade is not aligned to be parallel to the table top, but was under the impression that if the base of the sled is cut after the runners are put on, the fence is aligned to be 90 degrees to that cut, and the sled travels the same path, then the table not being parrallel wouldn't be a real issue; is this not the case? There may be some play in my sled that is amplified when I try to go as slow as I was.

The two pieces shown are the two halves of the board I cross-cut. I noted that the burn wasn't as bad when I sped up my pass speed. Perhaps the fast speed of travel for my sled keeps it in a straighter line?
            -Aaron

Comment

• AlanJ
              Established Member
              • Feb 2006
              • Rochester, MN
              • BT3100

Originally posted by distilledred
              Thank you for all the help thus far.

My sled does ride the side of the table. I was aware that the blade is not aligned to be parallel to the table top, but was under the impression that if the base of the sled is cut after the runners are put on, the fence is aligned to be 90 degrees to that cut, and the sled travels the same path, then the table not being parrallel wouldn't be a real issue; is this not the case?
              No, this is not true. If you think about it, by aligning the fence 90 degrees to the blade, but not making the runners parallel to the blade, your sled is now out of whack. Because the runners control the movement of the sled, it become the controlling axis - and the forward movement across the blade is not 'true' . The leading edge of the blade will hit the stock at point A, but the trailing edge of the blade will be on a different plane. This is almost certainly the cause of the burn.
              Alan

Comment

• distilledred
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by AlanJ
                No, this is not true. If you think about it, by aligning the fence 90 degrees to the blade, but not making the runners parallel to the blade, your sled is now out of whack. Because the runners control the movement of the sled, it become the controlling axis - and the forward movement across the blade is not 'true' . The leading edge of the blade will hit the stock at point A, but the trailing edge of the blade will be on a different plane. This is almost certainly the cause of the burn.
                Clearly. I was thinking of the blade as a point and not the plane that it is. I guess I will go look at my sled and see if there is a way to salvage it, I would hate to think I did all that work for nothing, ha. Thanks for setting me straight.

I would like some comments on my usability of the wood question. I am making a mitered box, so the wood needs to be flat for the corners to meet properly (obviously), at what point does a bow, or cup make a piece unmanagable for a given task. Thanks again.
                -Aaron

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

. I am making a mitered box, so the wood needs to be flat for the corners to meet properly (obviously), at what point does a bow, or cup make a piece unmanagable for a given task. Thanks again.
                  no bow = no gap.
                  Little bow = little gap
                  Big bow = Big gap

you get out of it what you put into it.
                  Thta's both the thrilling and maddening thing about woodworking...
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• distilledred
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jan 2006

you get out of it what you put into it.
                    Thta's both the thrilling and maddening thing about woodworking...
                    ... I don't know about this woodworking stuff, all I have been able to accomplish so far is empty my bank account. haha.

I meant was my assesment of the way getting a piece of wood flat correct. If the cup leaves a 1/8" clearence at its peak, does that translate to having to remove 1/8" of each side, or 1/4" of your total board width in order to arrive at a flat piece? If such is the case then would I my ends be best served looking for a new piece of wood, as I don't think a 1/2" piece will hold a 1/4" dado very soundly... ? Should I be in the market for a jointer, or a new piece of wood? How flat can one find wood from a lumber yard? Thanks.
                    Last edited by distilledred; 02-23-2006, 06:07 PM.
                    -Aaron

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

... I don't know about this woodworking stuff, all I have been able to accomplish so far is empty my bank account. haha.

I meant was my assesment of the way getting a piece of wood flat correct. If the cup leaves a 1/8" clearence at its peak, does that translate to having to remove 1/8" of each side, or 1/4" of your total board width in order to arrive at a flat piece? If such is the case then would I my ends be best served looking for a new piece of wood, as I don't think a 1/2" piece will hold a 1/4" dado... ? Thanks.
                      Yes.
                      And Maybe - 1/4" dado in 1/2" is Not too bad, depends on what loads it has to bear.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• cobob
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Rolla, MO, USA.
                        • BT3100

easy check

Try tapeing a nail to the sled so it is an index card away from the front of the blade. Then slide the sled. If the nail hits the blade ... or is more than an index card away at the back of the blade ... the sleds not 'true'

Comment

Working...