X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MalletsNPallets
    Handtools only
    • Nov 2015

Issues getting Craftsman 113.xxx blade to 90

Hello all! First I want to say how helpful and knowledgeable the members of this forum are for a novice woodworker like myself!

I just picked up my first table saw (Craftsman 113.xxx) off craigslist, and had a quick question. I can't seem to get the blade to go 90 degrees to the table top without the blade binding. The blade will go to about 89.5 degrees and then it feels like I'm forcing the handle to get the blade to 90. I tried to readjust it with the 90 degree set screw out and no dice.

I had a similar problem the the 45 degree tilt, but then readjusted with the set screw out and now it goes to 45 no problem and no binding of the blade.

I'm getting aggravated because I'm not quite sure what to look for to find the problem, as I'm new to table saws. The blade seems to be in good alignment to the mitre slots, I did a rudimentary check (although I need to throw a dial indicator on there to be positive) Other than that the saw seems to be in good condition. Any suggestions guys? I can get the whole model number and take any pictures if it's helpful to you guys when I get home.

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

• poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Where exactly is the blade binding? is it with something under the table or the throat plate? If it is the throat plate is it a custom ZCTP or the stock one with the wide slot. Either way can you adjust the blade past 90 with the plate removed. If yes its the plate and you can simply make a new one. If no and its binding to something under the table we need to figure out what that is.
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• MalletsNPallets
      Handtools only
      • Nov 2015

I don't think it's the plate, but I'll confirm that for you when I get home

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

It would also be worth checking if the blade binds in the same place for all 360 degrees of rotation, if its only for part of the rotation you could have a warped blade or a bent arbor. Hopefully not the latter. If you do a test non through cut when its not binding compare the width of the cut with the width of the blade, they should be very close to the same.
        Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

In your original post you did mention set screws but nothing about the stop collar. Did you do this adjustment as at least from the image it seems that there is plenty of play and most tilt adjustments will let you go over 90.

Click image for larger version

Name:	stop collar.PNG
Views:	225
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	827519
          Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• MalletsNPallets
            Handtools only
            • Nov 2015

No actually! I will check that first thing! Thank you so much, I'll let you know what I find

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

I don't believe the saw blade will tilt much past 45. 90 would put the blade laying flat, parallel with the saw tabletop

Comment

• poolhound
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Phoenix, AZ
                • BT3100

Originally posted by MalletsNPallets
                No actually! I will check that first thing! Thank you so much, I'll let you know what I find

So did it work?
                Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

Working...