What do you think about the Ryobi BTS10S?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FuryRoad
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2016
    • Atlanta, ga

What do you think about the Ryobi BTS10S?

I have a chance to get one for $90. Is it any good? I don't know how much it inherits from the BT3100 line, if anything

EDIT: I also have a choice of this, http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/tls/5602490455.html

Here is the Ryobi, http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/tls/5604094797.html

Thanks.
    Last edited by FuryRoad; 05-25-2016, 10:00 PM.
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

How about these? The first one is another BTS10 which looks like a steal at $35 especially if it has a real $79 blade in it.

This 2nd one is a bit of a step up but looks in good condition.

Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Your latest posting for the Atlanta craigslist (5604866776) looks pretty nice... for $35? That's a pretty decent price if it comes with the home-made stand/table, etc. Sort of surprised by that.

Although it's a small table saw, it looks like the present owner has made great improvements to enhance it.

The second link states it's no longer working (at least for me), so I couldn't see what it was. The links provided yesterday look quite rough, dirty and sort of un-cared for, and they seem to be wanting somewhat more than I would ever pay and well beyond what should be asked. Think about it, you can buy a brand new RTS10G, with warranty for $129. (see the below.).

As far as similarity or comparison to a BT3000/3100, they're really not even close IMO. Same brand, but that's about it, with no sliding miter table, better fence and many other features that the BT is outstandingly reputed for. Basically, the BTS10 is a lighter-weight, somewhat portable and smaller table saw. I think it would serve as a first-time table saw, but I would make sure it works and has the necessary attachments: fence, blade guard, miter gauge, etc.

I haven't looked at saws down in that low price range in some time. At the time I bought my BT3100-1, back in 2005, those smaller and lighter saws just seemed to be sloppily put together, poor assembly, really poor fence with questionable accuracy, and overall flimsy design. Because of this forum, I was saving for a BT3100 which was selling for $300. Fortunately for me, my local HD was clearancing them and I got mine, NIB, for just $150. I couldn't be happier with it.

The following year, I bought an old home and planned to move the 75 miles to it. But I needed a table saw to make some improvements in my original place. I didn't want to be carrying the BT back and forth, so I bought a Ryobi BTS-21 which had a folding carriage AND a sliding miter table. It's not same as a BT3100, but it's features and build quality were well worth the slightly-less-than the $300 I paid for it. It too has served me quite well.

With the BTS21, they redesigned the saw (can't remember the newer model number), but still retained some very good features. However, Ryobi seems to be getting out of the table saw business... or at least the 'serious' table saw business. I really don't like either of their present offerings.

The RTS21G is a small lightweight saw; okay for quick work, but I can't imagine it being the center for any shop and I don't think its intended for anymore than a contractor lightweight use. Good perhaps for setting up at the job site with it's collapsible stand. It sells for $199. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-10-...S21G/205503644

Their RTS10G is even small and more light weight. It sells for $129. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-15-...S10G/205216309

I really don't see an awful lot of precision in this low-end market. All the saws, regardless of brand, seem to be built for lightweight, portable, and perhaps even temporary use. Perhaps they're good 'starters' though. It's easy to spend someone else's money and I really try to not be a tool snob. Just look over the tools carefully whatever you focus on. Buy the most reliable and solid machine you can for your budget. But be aware, except in rare instances, many people think that they're used tools are worth more simply because they owned them. So be careful and compare to what a new model of that particular brand is going for. You'll often be surprised!

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
        • BT3100

I remember it being discussed here when that saw first came out... while it looks a bit like the BT3x, it's built much cheaper and isn't really inherited from it. It may well meet your needs, but it doesn't have the accuracy of the BT3x from what I understand.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I've also heard these light duty contractor saws "fencing saws"! About they are good for is building a picket fence to cut the angles on the top of the 5/8 boards, then leaving at the job site for the fence owner.

Comment

Working...