X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

I talked about it a couple times, this time seems for real

I think I'm retiring the 21829. I've wanted a more robust table saw for some time, and the size of my shop and the current state of it limits what I can do. The collapsible stand for the 21829 is great if I needed to flip it up all the time, but the reality is I don't. The outrigger and the handles of the stand just serve to take up space. While I could make a mobile cart and solve those issues, it doesn't solve the other big issue I have - room in front of the blade. I can barely use my miter gauge at all, because it just proceeds to fall off the front of the saw. I'd have a similar problem with a sled.

So, I think I'm getting the 36-725 in a couple months when my PTO buyback goes in. It is wider than the 21829 by about 15 inches, but because of the footprint, it will fit into the same space. Hopefully.
    Last edited by Cochese; 03-12-2016, 11:05 PM.
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

I think about a different saw than my 3100 sometimes but haven't gotten close to changing. But I would like to be able to use my Osborne gauge for crosscuts and can't the way it is configured at the moment. But I use my CMS and RAS and tracksaw so I don't really have to have the Osborne functional. And the 3100 works well with my shop vac. I also have the other tools set up to be at or slightly below the BT3100 on it's stand. So I probably won't change. But I dream about it sometimes.

Comment

• JSUPreston
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Montgomery, AL.
      • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

The major concern I have about that saw is that it appears to be a direct drive system. Traditional contractor saws are belt driven and usually have the motor hanging out the back.

As I've said before, I have the 36-979 with the Biesemeyer fence. I've had the saw for about 10 years and probably won't upgrade unless either the motor dies or I get a deal on a hybrid/cabinet saw I can't pass up. I like the power of the motor and the full cast iron top. BTW: I recently upgraded the saw from 120 to 240v. Wow! What a difference!

You may want to keep an eye out for a used saw. I occasionally check the Atlanta CL and quite often see some pretty nice equipment listed.
      "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

The 36-725 is a belt drive, there's pictures of it disassembled over on LJ. The 725 can be switched voltage as well, although I doubt I'll ever get to that point.

Atlanta CL mostly sucks. It took 2 years to find a jointer, and anything that is a reasonable deal is snatched up within an hour or two. Another reason for me buying new is that I need to verify that the additional size will work for me with my small space. I could go with a Grizzly hybrid as an alternative, but if I get it here and it's just too big I'm out a ton of money. I haven't made up my ind 100% as to which saw, but it's a very heavy lean to the Delta.

I also emailed Lee yesterday and verified that the riving knife for the Delta will match up to my existing Shark Guard. That's awesome.

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by JimD
          I think about a different saw than my 3100 sometimes but haven't gotten close to changing. But I would like to be able to use my Osborne gauge for crosscuts and can't the way it is configured at the moment. But I use my CMS and RAS and tracksaw so I don't really have to have the Osborne functional. And the 3100 works well with my shop vac. I also have the other tools set up to be at or slightly below the BT3100 on it's stand. So I probably won't change. But I dream about it sometimes.
          If I had an RAS I might not bother. One day I'll have a shop with one.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Just FWIW, I am putting my nickles aside in a big jar (no kidding, seriously giant change jar) and making periodic deposits from there into a separate savings accounts specifically to fund a SawStop 3HP PCS with a 36" fence. It's a bit bigger front to back than my BT3100, but is actually 2-7/8" narrower side to side considering I have the extended rails. A have a brother in law that loves my BT3100 that will likely end up with it, and the jigs made specially for it. I get to start over with jigs for a SawStop when this happens...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Cochese
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2010

I think tomorrow is the day. I'm a couple months early, but the shop is ready and I'm concerned Lowe's will be out of stock locally soon. Only one store that I can see has multiple units. I've never been known to have much patience anyway.

Comment

• Wildwillis
                Forum Newbie
                • Nov 2013
                • Syracuse, NY
                • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Cochese
                I think tomorrow is the day. I'm a couple months early, but the shop is ready and I'm concerned Lowe's will be out of stock locally soon. Only one store that I can see has multiple units. I've never been known to have much patience anyway.
                You sound like I do with my 21829. I'm rather attached to it and I love how easily it folds up, but it never has a reason to move. I've been lusting over the 36-725 lately...not sure I'd be able to part with my 21829 though. Looking forward to some pics and maybe a review once you get it!

Comment

• Cochese
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Wildwillis
                  You sound like I do with my 21829. I'm rather attached to it and I love how easily it folds up, but it never has a reason to move. I've been lusting over the 36-725 lately...not sure I'd be able to part with my 21829 though. Looking forward to some pics and maybe a review once you get it!
                  It's in the back of the SUV now. I'll start installing it shortly. I had asked for help getting it in the CRV, but it turned out it was light enough for me to do myself. I borrowed a hand truck to get it into the shop.

Comment

• Cochese
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2010

All set up and going through the fine tuning now. The blade looks to be perfectly aligned to at least the right miter slot. Will have to check travel height to ensure the same, and I need to raise the back of the fence up to keep it from dragging.

It's wonderful, though.

Comment

• Cochese
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2010

Fixed the fence issue by raising the rear rail some.

It's amazing how dialed in it was. As I said, lined up perfectly to right miter slot. I will need to make up something to check the left side. The fence seems to be pretty accurate, but I'm hoping to dial it in further. I've only had a few minutes to play with it. Did some rips along the fence and I got one end bang on 1", the other was either 1/64 or 1/32 narrower. It's awesome to finally use the Incra miter gauge the way it was intended. It's fairly quiet, smooth (haven't done the nickel test yet), dust collection even with the stock throat plate is pretty dang good.

I've got Lee making me up a riving knife to use with the Shark Guard, but the guard it comes with is nice. We'll see how much dust collection I'll need up top with ZCIs. It feels like acres of space in front of the blade. I love the T2-style fence, feels like it's going to be a huge improvement over the BT-style. It's pretty lightweight, not that much heavier than the old saw, but it uses it's weight better. My only complaint thus far is the riving knife is out of alignment to even the stock blade, so I'll have to adjust that over tomorrow. It's putting some serious resistance on the piece between the blade and the fence.

The footprint is very close to what the 21829 was. It's about 4" deeper including the rails, and a few inches wider. But it fits the space I needed it to perfectly. It actually takes up slightly less space because there's no handles or outriggers. Installation took about 90 minutes, not including fine tuning the rails and tables. Even though the wings aren't cast iron, they aren't super cheap feeling either. There's some weight to them. The height adjustment is super smooth, but I may be biased because the 21829 really doesn't want to rise up easily. I'll have to figure out on here what it is I need to clean and lube before I sell it.

Very happy thus far. I'll get some better pics tomorrow, but this is what I have thus far.

Comment

• Wildwillis
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Nov 2013
                        • Syracuse, NY
                        • Craftsman 21829

Thanks for the update! Glad you're enjoying it so far! I'm very jealous!

Comment

• jussi
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007

Is it just me or are the pics not viewable. Regardless congrats on the new saw.
                          I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Cochese
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2010

Very possible, I did them straight from Google. Here they are hosted on my own site.

I fixed the height issue on the 21829 with just a few shots of dry lube. Easy peasy. I think I'll have an initial impressions thread/review of the new saw up in a few days. I spent all afternoon yesterday cutting down scrap with the old saw.

Comment

• poolhound
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2006
                              • Phoenix, AZ
                              • BT3100

Congrats on your new saw. Do remember to clean it nicely and read it a bedtime story every time you leave the shop at night...
                              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                              techzibits.com

Comment

Working...